Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans turn over once but computer won't start

• Please log in to reply

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi
I've just upgraded my motherboard and processor to an Asus M4A78LT-M LE and an AMD Phenon II x6. I have followed everything that I believe I need to do to make it work but the CPU fan, graphics card fan and Power pack fan only turn over once. I have taken all the peripherals off and gone back to the basic CPU motherboard section but with no results. What have I done wrong?
My graphics card is an NVidia super GT+, I have a 230v power supply and 8gb of DDR3 memory. I also have a Creative Audigy sound card attached.

Any help would be great - thanks.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I've just upgraded my motherboard and processor to an Asus M4A78LT-M LE and an AMD Phenon II x6

I'm willing to bet a standoff in the wrong place under the new mobo Did you double check to make sure they lined up exactly the same from the old mobo? :D

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've replaced everything in the same places - I was careful having not tried to do this before. The only new components are the CPU, the motherboard and the DDR3 RAM. Is there a likely specific standoff I can try to check for or am I missing the blatantly obvious...?!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Hi guys, could this be the problem (power starvation)

My graphics card is an NVidia super GT+, I have a 230v power supply

You only say that your video card is an NVidia super GT+ so we do not know the exact model so I have provided some info on a very basic EVGA 512-P3-1212-LR GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit, note the power requirements.
System Requirements Minimum of a 300 Watt power supply. (Minimum recommended power supply with +12 Volt current rating of 18 Amps.) http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130536

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Graphics card is the NVidia 8500 GT Super+ 1Gb

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Just in case it helps any the Palit brand of the cards details are below;
Minimum System Requirements

1GB of system memory
CD or DVD-ROM drive
50MB of available hard disk drive space for basic driver installation
Microsoft Windows Vista or Windows XP operating system
PCI Express-compliant motherboard with one vacant PCI Express ×16 slot
350W PCI Express-compliant system power supply**
**Minimum system power requirement based on a standard PC configured
with an Intel® Core™2 Extreme X6800 processor
http://www.tigerdire...5272&CatId=2306

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for that. :D My system has been running more than that for a couple of years on 230W. I guess I must have been pretty fortunate it worked at all...!!! Best look for a new power pack then... :D

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
OK - I've been a little stupid. My power pack isn't 230 - it's 350. Going senile it appears... Any further thoughts?

Edited by unbeliever1865, 11 April 2011 - 12:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Yes most fortunate, without going off topic too much using an underpowered PSU adds wear to not only the PSU but also other components MB, CPU, Ram, add on cards etc and eventually something will give, as rshaffer61 has already said the symptoms you describe are typical of a short but PSU issues can manifest themselves in many/various ways.

EDIT: The PSU output of 350W is better but still not brilliant, the brand and efficiency rating make all the difference ie an Antec PSU with 80% efficiency for example.
You may like to consider this until RonShaffer61 checks back in;

Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a bare bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX, keyboard and 1 stick of Ram.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU and third suggestion try and loan an ordinary PCI graphics card (not pci-e) again to try and get a BIOS screen.
Apart from an incorrectly placed stand off check for stray screws or bared wires.

Edited by phillpower2, 11 April 2011 - 01:21 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As I stated take the mobo out and make sure every standoff is matching up with a hole in the new mobo where you can screw it down. Whenever I replace a mobo I always remove all standoffs and start fresh to make sure there is no mistakes.

Advertisements

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have taken it right back to the basics - motherboard, Processor and 1 stick of RAM. Power in and still I get a spin of the fan and nothing more. I have gone back to my original motherboard and processor and duplicated my actions - it fires first time. Is there a problem with my new kit or is there something else I should try?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Can you provide the PSU details please, brand and any model name or model number it may have.

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
COLORSit EN60950 ATX12V P4

That's all the details I have... I appreciate the support tho... Model 330U

Edited by unbeliever1865, 12 April 2011 - 02:57 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK the mobo posts outside the case correct?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Is this your new MB http://www.ebuyer.com/product/181968
And this your PSU http://www.pcpartsdi...cat=53&group=22
The reason I ask is the MB specs show that it requires a 24 pin main board power connection + a 4 pin 12V atx connection but the PSU specs list shows the PSU has the 20 pin type connector + the 4 pin P4 connection.

MB specs;
Internal I/O Connectors
3 x USB connectors supports additional 6 USB 2.0 ports
1 x IDE connector
6 x SATA connectors
1 x CPU /Chassis Fan connector
1 x S/PDIF Out connector
1 x High Definition Front panel audio connector
1 x COM connector
1 x Printer port
1 x System Panel connector
1 x Internal speaker connector
1 x 24-pin ATX Power connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector
BIOS
8 Mb Flash ROM , AMI BIOS, PnP, DMI v2.0, WfM2.0, SM BIOS V2.5, ACPI V2.0a

PSU specs;
Product details:

1 x 20-pin ATX Power Connector (Connects directly to the motherboard)
1 x 4-pin P4 Connector (2 Yellow, 2 Black Wires, Connects directly to the motherboard

Edited by phillpower2, 12 April 2011 - 05:08 PM.