Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Fans turn over once but computer won't start

• Please log in to reply

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
The PSU has a 20 pin link but a 4 pin attachment to make it a 24 pin. There is also the 4 pin yellow/black one as well.

Motherboard is right one.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
What about my question in post 14?
Is the mobo posting when bench testing outside of the case?

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Apologies - I have a terminology block I think. Could you define 'post' for me? I appreciate this will make me look dumb, but could you use less techy speak for me - makes it harder for me to follow your advice.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK you said you are getting nothing while the mobo is in the case.
When you take the mobo out and do a bench test do you get the fans turning and the monitor shows a picture then?
If you don't know what I mean by bench test here are the instructions.

Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I appreciate the break down.

With the latter stage of set up followed - out of case on cardboard setup I get exactly the same - a spin of the fan and then nothing.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Ok and you have nothing but the instructed components connected to the system outside of the case correct?
No hard drives, optical drives, external drives or anything ?

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Nothing at all - only those parts listed.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Faulty Mobo or PSU,

OK - I've been a little stupid. My power pack isn't 230 - it's 350. Going senile it appears... Any further thoughts?

You also state it has been running fine for years on this PSU.
Now the only way to be sure is to try another PSU with at least the same wattage and would be better if more.
This way you will be assured it the problem is mobo or PSU.

unbeliever1865

unbeliever1865

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Thanks for al the help. I have a replacement PSU on the way. I'll give it another try when it arrives. Failing that I know a guy who can run it through his gizmos and can tell me more. Genuinely appreciate the time/advice though...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Thanks for the update and just remember if it still does not work then the mobo is the next most obvious issue. Please let us know what the new PSU shows once you connect it. We will watch for your results and good luck.
:D

Advertisements