Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Freezing and crashing

• Please log in to reply

Chris Dotson

Chris Dotson

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone, thank you in advance for any help that you give.

I'm having trouble with my Toshiba laptop with windows vista. Windows explorer either runs slow, freezes, or crashes every time it's up and running. I can't download any updates for QuickTime or iTunes. Some other programs seem to crash on occasion as well. I get a lot of "Not Responding" windows that either recover or I have to restart windows explorer.

Also, I have never been able to download the second service pack from Microsoft. I have had problems with Vista since I got it.

And while I'm venting I might as well get it off my chest that I have to keep uninstalling/reinstalling the drivers for the sound to work. I'll turn it on and the sound won't work, but after a couple minutes it clicks on and sound pretty bad when it's loud. I don't know if any of this is connected.

Would someone please help me? I don't know if I should clean install or maybe another route would fix it without uninstalling my Microsoft Office that I don't know where the disc or security key is. :D

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi and welcome. To be honest it sounds like you are having some sort of hardware problem. A failing hard drive could easily be the culprit of these issues.

Have you done anything (tried) to fix this yet? If so, let me know what.

Cheers

Chris Dotson

Chris Dotson

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No I have not tried to fix it in any way, but now that you mention that... this is my wife computer and she did spill water onto it a couple months ago. I had to replace the keyboard. What would it entail to buy a new HD and replace this one. Would I need to buy windows for it?

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
No, you would just need to order a hard drive that is the exact specs as what you have now. "Toshiba laptop with Vista" most likely tells me you are looking at a 2.5" SATA hard drive. You could choose either 5400rpm or 7200rpm speeds, with the latter being slightly faster, but also running slightly hotter and with slightly less battery life. Also you could choose different size from what you currently have, if your current HDD is 250GB in size, you could easily upgrade to a 500GB.

Then just clone the drive across (also called "ghosting" or "imaging") to the new one and it should boot up the same.

But first things first, that water spill. Has it been professionally looked at? I would recommend this to see the full extent of the damage (or not).