Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

sony viao pcg fx220

• Please log in to reply

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

After seeing the puppy cd working on the thinkpad I think it's safe to say the optical drive is dying on the sony vaio. Thanks for all your help and when I replace the drive I'll post another topic if things don't work out.

No need to start a new topic unless it is a different issue completely.
Besides we would like to know good or bad if the replacement of the drive is the issue in the end.

fair enough. It will have to wait for a little while. Palm springs and some other things are on the front burner at the moment but when I get around to it, I will post here.

Thanks for wishing me luck and i will keep you up to date :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Real life is more important and we as volunteers understand that oh so well.

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
Ok, I'm baaack :unsure: More troubles than before unfortunately. So let's start with what's happening now. My IBM thinkpad r51 is now on the fritz :/ I power it on and it show the charging light but that's it, no splash screen, no ability to enter bios or anything, sooo I'm pretty sure it's dead. I tried just the power cord, removed the battery, and everything :)

I decide to take the hdd out of the thinkpad and place it inside the sony. NOTHING. I also decided to buy an additional hdd for the sony because the hdd was making a lot of noise in the thinkpad, AND sometimes the thinkpad would not load up software nor would the hdd light up.

So neither hdd works in the sony, the refurb'd one or the thinkpad hdd. I am going to try replacing the cd rom drive in a couple of days to see if that makes a difference...

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you getting anything on the screen at all?
Post screens do not depend on the hd to work. The bios is running at that point to identify the drives.

bubbasparks

bubbasparks

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Are you getting anything on the screen at all?
Post screens do not depend on the hd to work. The bios is running at that point to identify the drives.

Yes I am. I'm getting the start up screen. (on the sony viao) Yes, I am able to enter the bios without the hdd installed. That's normal. Now if you're referring to the Thinkpad R51 well I didn't get anything. NO start up screen or anything. With or without a Hdd installed. I became irritated and chucked it in the trash. So it's no longer an issue. I still have hope in the Sony however. I think I just need to replace the cd/rw drive. If I replace the cd/rw drive and that doesn't solve the problem I will not know what else to try :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 10 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.