Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vista HP Laptop Won't Boot

• Please log in to reply

colette422

colette422

• PipPip
  • 37 posts
Hi, Last night I noticed my computer had a blue screen with a windows box stating it was going into recovery mode. I allowed it to finish and upon restart it would not boot. It started booting but soon showed white and black vertical lines then just a black screen. I was able to see my mouse cursor. Since it was late I just turned it off and left it alone. Today I tried to boot and the same thing happened. I then tried to boot in Safe Mode and I was able to boot. I did a system restore to an earlier date and it completed successfully. After reboot the same white and black vertical lines and then just a black screen. I then tried to boot in Safe Mode and it would not. I left it for a few hours and then I was able to boot into Safe Mode again. From reading some of the forums, I suspect a fried video card or motherboard because I have an HP DV9543CL with NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GS and it has known issues. I'm just wondering if there is something I can do to verify it's a hardware problem and not software/malware related? Thank you, Colette

Advertisements