Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Recover info from bad Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
i had a 1.5TB seagate hard drive in my computer I used to store files and movies. It kept showing an error about it when i logged on but I couldn't figure out what it meant. The last time I restarted the computer the drive isn't there. Is there any way to get the files off of the drive? Or fix the drive?

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Hi civiccrazy, sorry to hear you are having HDD problems.
Options you have for attempting to recover your data include using an external USB HDD enclosure or fitting the HDD into another computer as a Slave/Secondary drive and then transfer your data across to the main drive, you could also do this using your own computer if you had another HDD set up as a replacement Master/Main HDD complete with an OS installed.
You may also need to use some recovery software http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.HTML try Recuva 1st as it has a high success rate.

The last time I restarted the computer the drive isn't there.

Have you tried tapping F8 on boot up to get into the BIOS, If you have is the HDD listed?
You will need to be able to do this if you need to boot from the CD/DVD drive/install an OS on a new HDD etc see how to below;

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS + see if your HDD is listed.
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Do you see your HDD listed here?
Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to your CD/DVD drive.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
When I booted up and looked in BIOS, the HDD is not there. I have 2 160GB and 1 250GB(primary) and 1 250 external HDD in the computer now. How would I go about trying to recover the data on the bad one?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Without an external HDD enclosure you will need to put the drive back into a computer, you may be fortunate enough for it to be recognised as new hardware and be able to reinstall it, retrieve your data and then remove it, if not;
download the Seatools diagnostic tools from http://www.seagate.c...nloads/seatools take the time to read the tutorial first, good luck and let us know how it goes.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Im going to get an external HDD enclosure and let you know how it works. Seatools doesn't recognize the drive either.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Tried the external enclosure. Doesn"t even recognize the drive.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
Not good news I'm afraid as it appears the HDD has completely failed, dependent on the importance of the stored data on the drive will determine what your next step may be, using a data recovery service which is rather expensive.
Sorry I cannot think of anything further at this time but if I do I will post back.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
That's What I figured. I think i just had some movies on there so no big deal. Do you know if seagate has any kind of warranty on their HDD's?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts
You can check here http://www.seagate.c...urns_assistance

Amy Smith

Amy Smith

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi there,
If the hard drive shows up in 'My Computer' as a drive letter(F:),I would first try to recover the data on it with a data recovery program to avoid lossing them.
Try this one called Tenorshare Data Recovery. It can recover data after deeply scanning your hard drive to look for lost data due to drives crash, physical damage,system sabotage,ect.http://www.any-data-...y.com/index.htm
If the hdd can't be detected,you can try this way.Put the hdd in a zip-lock bag and put it in the freezer for 2-3 hours. Then while it's still cold plug it into the computer and you may be able to view it in 'my computer'. It has worked for me on several occasions so don't laugh just try it.
If it fails, you will have to go to a recovery office but let's hope not because it will cost you a lot of money and whether they can recover the data or not is not guarantee.
Good Luck!

Edited by Amy Smith, 25 April 2011 - 10:23 PM.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
A little late. I sent it to seagate last week for warranty.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,768 posts

A little late. I sent it to seagate last week for warranty.

Glad to see it was still covered :D

Amy Smith

Amy Smith

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Sorry to hear that.But you should have learned a lesson from it.If needed next time,you can try. :)

eugenek6

eugenek6

• Pip
  • 1 posts
first, recover your files. I had success with this file recovery software called asoftech data recovery.

I've had to use it many times in the past but in this case you need to plug that drive into another system as an external drive or slave drive and run the software from there. It will rebuild the drive and hopefully recover the files.

After you get back your files, you can then format the drive.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If the drive is not seen in the bios then it won't be seen in My Computer.
It was not seen in bios.

Also for info only: If it can be seen in bios, then it is probably seen in computer management.