Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

After PC cleaning results

• Please log in to reply

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello
I'm using Windows XP with SP3 and each time I clean up I get over 150 similar results like this:
"MS/systemcertificates/disallowed reg key contains no data"
Empty reg files The file referenced doesn't exist etc.

I'm particularly concerned that "trust certificates" are being disallowed and the connotations that may have on the PC overall. My outlook express was initially affected and allowed me to receive mail but wouldn't allow me to send. I have since fixed that problem but still get these weird cleaning results every time. Obviously the errors are being fixed OK but just keep re-occuring.

My PC is overall not in good health and I hope that it will completely recover if the registry can be brought back into good health. I've tried to find a log in RegServo to send to you but can't find it. Can this problem somehow be fixed??

Wynn-M

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

I'm using Windows XP with SP3 and each time I clean up I get over 150 similar results like this:

Hello Wynn_M
Can you please tell us what you are cleaning up with.
What type and Name of programs are you using

Thank You

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello Noknojon
Thanks for your reply. In answer to your Q. I keep Superantispy handy for the occasional thorough bugclean (Found a trojan yesterday). I relied on Windows Firewall and MS Essentials for years until a few weeks ago when something prevented Windows Firewall from functioning. The System Restore service stopped functioning too and, to my knowledge, is still the case. They were turned on in the services when I checked but I was getting an Error 5 Access Denied when trying to start the Firewall in control panel. I gave up and started using Zone Alarm to cover security. MS Essentials still monitors bug detection. As for registry cleaning, I'm using RegServo now - its quick and thorough although it's coming up with those weird results I've never seen before.

I'm thinking these problems are possibly being exacerbated by an aging PC(2003) WinXP Home Edition SP 1,2,3 custom built, but I'm not ready to ditch it yet. I'm doing my best to keep it in good order in the meantime.

If you have any ideas what's going on Noknojon I'd love to hear them. Thanks.

PS I've tried rootkits etc. Luckily I get very few bugs. The nasty trojan yesterday was the first for years - its dead now. :D

Wynn M.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
First off stop using Regservo!. It may look like it is helping, but the errors you are now getting are because it deleted registry keys that it thought weren't used.

A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable. We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there. Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

Link to "Why not to use a Registry cleaner"

http://miekiemoes.bl...weaking_13.html

So lets see if we can start getting this fixed.

Go to

Start and then to Run
Type in Chkdsk /r Note the space between k and /
Click Enter ...It will probably ask if you want to do this on the next reboot...click Y
If the window doesn't shutdown on its own then reboot the system manually. On reboot the system will start the chkdsk operation
This one will take longer then chkdsk /f

Note... there are 5 stages...
It may appear to hang at a certain percent for a hour or more or even back up and go over the same area...this is normal...
DO NOT SHUT YOUR COMPUTER DOWN WHILE CHKDSK IS RUNNING OR YOU CAN HAVE SEVERE PROBLEMS
This can take several hours to complete.
When completed it will boot the system back into windows.

Let me know if this fixes the problem

Go Start and then to Run ("Start Search" in Vista),
Type in: sfc /scannow
Click OK (Enter in Vista).
Have Windows CD/DVD handy.
If System File Checker (sfc) finds any errors, it may ask you for the CD/DVD.
If sfc does not find any errors in Windows XP, it will simply quit, without any message.
In Vista you will receive the following message: "Windows resource protection did not find any integrity violations".

For Vista users ONLY: Navigate to C:\Windows\Logs\CBS folder. You'll see CBS.log file.
Usually, it's pretty big file, so upload it to Flyupload, and post download link.

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Thanks 123Runner, sorry I did not get back -
This was one of the problems that I was afraid of, >> I'm using RegServo now <<

@ Wynn_M -
My older and smaller 1G XP desktop is stil my favored, over my newer 4G Win 7 laptop computer.
I have never reverted to Reg Cleaners, as I have seen the misleading problems they can cause.
A well maintained older computer can still serve you very well if cared for and please ask us for any more advice.
Please try to install the Free version of Comodo Firewall if your Windows Firewall is turned off.
Make sure you install the Comodo Free version only and ignore all other items on the page.
Now try to see if your Microsoft Security Essentials Antivirus can be reinstalled and updated (You need it).
These 2 are among my better programs and I make sure they work well and are always updated .
To help speed things up a bit, you can use simple installed items, like Delete Browsing History and similar items.
Open Internet Explorer, Click Tools (press Alt if you cant see it), Miss the Top item then check the next 3 boxes.
This will help a bit. Also open Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup and use that, and Disk Defragmenter also.
To reset System Restore again, in System Tools is System Restore. Click on this and look at the Left side to see System Restore Settings.
Click on this. If the Box on the upper Left side is ticked, Untick it and click Apply at the bottom. This should reset your System restore.
Look in Add / Remove for Regservo and remove it if you can see it there, ask us if you do not see it.

This is just a basic list to start with , Please post back with any more questions and someone will help you further -

Thank You -
EDIT -
If you think you may have other infections please follow this
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found Here. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum (http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html). If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

Edited by noknojon, 13 April 2011 - 09:47 PM.

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
I started the Chkdsk this morning anticipating a long session but much to my surprise it only took five minutes and I don't know the outcome - no time given to see any result. I have a lotta space/gigs on the main drive - 500 - and a small percentage of files. Anyway, system restore and still not operational, no forgotten tick in the box. Sys restore calendar had no auto-systemchecks logged for the last two weeks except for the one regservo made before fixing and one I made immediately before that on 12/4. So I tried to test restore to that one but it was unable to do so. A bit worrying should I really need to restore. The only other thing I could think of was to reset the available space to sys restore to 10%. Don't know yet if it worked.

Comodo firewall free has been installed and apparently accepted by the Windows Firewall slot. Is it any better than Zone Alarm though??

MSSecurity Essentials also reinstalled but not without a fight from Comodo blocking it initially. RegServo has gone as per your advice and I truly understand why now after reading Sari's input. Thanks Sari.

Finally I must ask if you could assist with a longstanding problem with the Generic Host Sys32 error popping up on bootup. I've been all over the internet looking for a solution and only found a lot of others with the same problem but no fixes. Sometimes it surfaces and sometimes it doesn't. What the [bleep] is it? I'd be very happy if I never saw it again. It wasn't RegServo because it was there before him and probably the reason I got it. I'm quite sure there are no more infections present.

I've had my eyes opened thanks to geekstogo and its trusty professionals. Thanks - Look forward to your response.

Wynn M.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

PS I've tried rootkits etc. Luckily I get very few bugs. The nasty trojan yesterday was the first for years - its dead now.

I suspect that you have some malware on your computer causing issues that we are not able to solve through means we can use here in the Tech Forums. I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Comodo firewall free has been installed and apparently accepted by the Windows Firewall slot. Is it any better than Zone Alarm though??

Please only install ONE Firewall and make sure M/Soft is turned off.
If you have, or wish to have ZoneAlarm, please select the one that you prefer to use (I just use Comodo at the moment).
>> MSSecurity Essentials also reinstalled but not without a fight from Comodo blocking it initially <<
Comodo is in 'Training mode' when first installed, and fights all new applications being installed as its safetey procedure.
The above instructions seem to be your best advice at this time, as you seem to still have other infections present at this time.

If done corectly the checkdisk r should have taken at least 30 mins, even on a small XP unit. I will not give any more directions at this time except to say
"follow the above instructions for now" and visit us when you have been cleared by an expert ,

Thank You

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hello,
I'm not sure how or where to apply the link referred to in the reply notification emails - perhaps you could enlighten me. :D

I downloaded OTL and have the log on my desktop. I also carried out a full scan via Comodo which took over an hour and didn't miss a byte. It came up with 12 bugs which amazed me as every other scanner missed them. I have that log on my desktop too. I'm very impressed with Comodo and want to thank the person that suggested it. It has everything needed to keep PCs clean and secure including a Geek Buddy. I HAVE A SUPERCLEAN PC NOW.

I am keen to repair System Restore now with your help and ask advice on how to get rid of bootup messages from GenericHost Sys32 with a problem and has to close. I don't send it to MS. Will you be needing the cleaning logs I've saved?

Wynn M.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I'm not sure how or where to apply the link referred to in the reply notification emails - perhaps you could enlighten me.

Link for what?
Did you go through the malware tutorial and run the programs it suggested?
Did you start a new topic in the malware removal forum and include the logs?

Advertisements

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Hi
Lets forget the link.
Yes, I went through the malware tut. - see OTL attached - too big to attach both on Malware Forum.
Posted a surprising Comodo scan result on Malware Removal Forum.

Wynn M.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
I can find no Malware topic started by you.
We do not use those logs here and in fact it is prohibited for anyone but malware techs to use them.

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Well, there is one posted on the Malware forum coz I did it today. Sorry I screwed up with the OTL - forgot it was to be copy/pasted. I'm a bit stressed I guess. Did you see the post with the scan result attachment from Comodo ok - it was posted on the after cleaning forum? I may have signed as Wynn M. by mistake.

I'll make sure I'm on the right forum this time and post the OTL again. My sincere apologies for the error.

Wynn_M

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
No problem I can always delete the attachment or you can just edit that post here and delete the attachment yourself.

Wynn_M

Wynn_M

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Replying to After PC cleaning results

I can't find the post I made when I attached the Comodo scan result in the wrong place in order to edit/delete it. I've spent almost an hour looking for it. I should have pasted OTL first.

Is this the correct place to attach the OTL result? The whole exercise is stressing me out now and I just want to continue with other things. MS auto updates are now repeatedly trying to upload and install the same updates that are already installed. The icon is once again on the taskbar - what next!! I thought Comodo finding the deepseated bugs would improve matters. Its driving me crazy.

Wynn_M