Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Hard drive broken, won't boot.

• Please log in to reply

Hevis

Hevis

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hello once again,

Last week my main hard drive broke, in the evening it worked but next morning it wouldn't. When I boot up my computer the hard drive makes a loud looping noise, like it would be reading some data over and over again. No clicking.

The hard drive is Seagate ST31000, Crystal Disk info has shown some "warning" and some reallocated sectors (~100) before.

BIOS or Windows won't boot when I have this hard drive connected, after pressing Bios setup it will just initialize. When trying to enter Windows it asks to enter a boot able device.

I can't seem to get far with just Googles help, as I cant find out if the BIOS is recognizing the HDD or not..

Is there anything to be saved here?

My computer specs:

Mobo: Asus P7P55D-E Pro
CPU: Intel i5 750
RAM: G.Skill ECO
GPU: ASUS 5870
Power: Cooler Master GX 750 W

Thanks for your time.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Hi Hevis,
Sorry to hear you are having HDD problems.
Options you have for attempting to recover your data include using an external USB HDD enclosure or fitting the HDD into another computer as a Slave/Secondary drive and then transfer your data across to the main drive, you could also do this using your own computer if you had another HDD set up as a replacement Master/Main HDD complete with an OS installed.
You may also need to use some recovery software http://www.snapfiles...tarecovery.HTML try recuva 1st as it has a high success rate.

as I cant find out if the BIOS is recognizing the HDD or not..

Have you tried tapping F8 on boot up to get into the BIOS? You will need to be able to do this if you want to boot from the CD/DVD drive, see below;

To change Boot Sequence in your BIOS
Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL button
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Do you see your HDD listed here?

Now highlight the first drive and follow the directions on the bottom of the screen on how to modify it and change it to your CD/DVD drive.
Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there,

Thanks for the reply, didn't get to answer you earlier since I was waiting for my HDD enclosure to arrive.

When I connect the bad hard drive to my computer I cannot access the BIOS or OS (installed in another HDD). When the boot up process goes past the screen where it shows the mobo manufacturer, it just says "Initializing..." and nothing happens.

I got the HDD enclosure but it doesn't seem to do the trick. The disk just keeps on doing the spinning kind of sound. The HDD can't be found in Windows Disk Management, neither does Recuva recognize it.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!

EDIT: I got Windows installed on another HD at the moment.

Edited by Hevis, 18 April 2011 - 08:36 AM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
Have you changed the boot sequence in the BIOS as I suggested in post #2?
Set it to 1st CD/DVD drive 2nd The replacement HDD with the OS on it and 3rd USB device.
Another option for attempting to retrieve your data is Puppy Linux, see the tutorial by
member Ferrari http://www.geekstogo...over-your-data/

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi there and thanks for the reply!

Sorry for the utterly late reply, I haven't had much time to put in to this problem..

I changed the boot sequence, added "Removable Drive" as the 3rd boot option. Still can't find the hard drive at Recuva / Disk Management / My computer.. The drive also still makes the spinning sound, like its shutting down and then booting to full speed, stopping again and rebooting.

Any further instructions?

Edited by Hevis, 21 May 2011 - 12:54 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts
It appears that the HDD is dead I`m afraid, one final check that you can do is to
replace it in the original PC, disconnect the replacement HDD and attempt to boot
up whilst tapping the F8 key to get into the BIOS, if the HDD is listed in the BIOS
then it may be possible to save the data on the drive, if it is not listed then it
is fairly safe to say that the HDD is dead.

Hevis

Hevis

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Hi, thanks for the reply.

I tried to hook it up before, but it wont allow going to BIOS.. it just says "Initializing".

I guess I'll take it to a computer shop and see what happens.

Thanks for all the help!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,024 posts

I tried to hook it up before, but it wont allow going to BIOS.. it just says "Initializing".

This is unusual as a HDD has nothing to do with getting into the BIOS, you can get into the BIOS without
any HDD being attached at all! Can you please confirm you are attempting to get into the BIOS at the correct
time, see below;

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the Del or F8 key
This will enter you into the BIOS/CMOS area.
Find the Advanced area and click Enter
Look for Boot Sequence or Boot Options and highlight that click Enter
Is the HDD included in the list of devices detected?
If it is exit the BIOS without making any changes, let us know how it goes.