Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys wrt120n connection problems

• Please log in to reply

ShreckengostFTW

ShreckengostFTW

• Pip
  • 6 posts
My network is set up like this: my internet comes from my cable company (it has roughly a 55Mbps speed) and goes into the cable modem. i run the internet to my linksys wrt120n router which then send the internet to a desktop computer(wired), a laptop computer(wireless), and my xbox 360(wired). for a few months i was able to run all 3 of them simultaniously successfully and expirienced no problems. over the past month or so the router seems to be dropping the internet connection excessivly (a few times a day) this is very aggrivating and time consuming when after every connection loss i attempt to cycle the system. this has not shown any signs of helping but allows me to use the internet for a decent amout of time before it fails again. as you can imagine it can be stressful when you need to use the internet and the connection cuts out. ive checked and my firmware is up to date and nothing about hte router has changed since when it worked till now. i really just dont have a clue as to why it would do this and i dont know how to fix it. help?
thank you.

Advertisements

Barbarian

Barbarian

• PipPipPip
  • 433 posts
Hi ShreckengostFTW,

Before taking any action, I think is a good idea to contact your ISP and ask him if there is any change coming from them. It is important to confirm that the problem is from you and eventually they can advise you what to do.

ShreckengostFTW

ShreckengostFTW

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i have checked with my isp, nothing with them has changed since my old router. im thinking either this one is faulty or the fact that it is an n router instead of a g. ive never had problems with the wrt54g i used to have.

additionally ive tried hard resetting the router, nothing seems to have changed and the connection continues to drop

fiend2355

fiend2355

• Pip
  • 1 posts
hey i have same exact router n same problem wit internet kicking me from xbox and stuff what did u do to finally resolve this