Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

NAS Devices

• Please log in to reply

micklacey

micklacey

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
hi folks

i have a question. basically i am looking for a NAS device that can automatically replicate to an external eSATA drive which i can the take off site for off site storgae

so basically i want to backup to the NAS and the NAS automatically syncs with the eSATA drive

has anyone come across such a device. i have searched the web and the tech specs of the devices i have found dont mention it,
i think this would be fairly nifty thing to have.

cheers
Mick

Advertisements

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts
I currently use a Synology NAS which has a similar feature, although it's not a data replication process, but a scheduled backup. I use a 1.5TB external USB HDD every once in awhile to back things up, then drop it off at my parents house in case of fire. Synology offers something similar to what you are looking for, although it's data replication between Synology servers and not an eSATA drive. Some models offer eSATA ports along with the USB ports and gigabit Ethernet ports.

Any objection to firing the backup manually before you move it off site? If not, then you might want to take a look at their products. They are well built and the DSM software is second to none. It has a ton of features that most people rarely use, such as a built in webserver, FTP server, Audio Station, Photo Station, Time Machine Server, iTunes Server, and the list goes on and on.

Here is the FAQ on the built in backup utility.

This is a link to their website if you are interested in checking out their products.

Edited by Spyderturbo007, 15 April 2011 - 06:46 AM.