Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows wont boot when external is plugged in

• Please log in to reply

brisingr

brisingr

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts
Im using windows vista dual booted with Linux mint. in addition i have puppy Linux on a thumb drive that i use if I'm on someone elses computer and want to use one of my own programs or my own desktop environment. I have the save file for my home puppy on my external hard drive. My girlfriend accidentally pulled the external hard dive usb out of the computer as she was shutting down puppy ( she thought it was the mouse usb). what that landed me with is a corrupt pupsave on my external. Its viewable in windows but it wont let me delete it (says file not there or moved or something). In addition to the file being corrupt i can no longer turn the computer on and boot into windows if the external is plugged in. I have to assume it goes along with the corrupt pup file as this all started at the same time. I booted windows in safe mode and tried to delete the file from the external but it didn't show up. instead a dialog came up telling me that there's a problem with the drive and to scan to fix bla bla bla. i did that and it said it fixed the problem and told me that this can happen if a save or transfer is interrupted (which made sense to me and this is basically what happened) i was hoping this solved the problem but windows still wont boot with the external plugged in. I haven't tried booting Linux mint with the external plugged in. puppy does work fine when booting with external plugged in. ALL OPERATING SYSTEMS WORK if i plug in the external after its booted.

BTW the external im using is the WD essential 1 TB model.

what im looking to do is 1 make sure i get rid of the currupt pupsave. 2 make it so i can boot windows with external plugged in. Hopefully do both of these without having to format.

Advertisements