Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Knowledge

• Please log in to reply

BanMidou

BanMidou

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi

Knowledge regarding system building

I`m noob/newbie :D

I don`t really plan to build a PC just yet.

But I would like to get a few questions cleared

I googled a bit

CPU case Power Supply motherboard

these three components seem to be very important How does one purchase a these with so many companies around how do you experts out their ind the best buy which gives performance

My general mind set is if its slightly costly its high grade material (i know lame)

Which is better going for a separate buy of Power SUpply or go in with the one which is at times bundled with CPU case
Lets say PSU is around 500watts

Should the CPU case be purchased in respect with motherboard i.e USB ports etc?

How important is the material of the Ram does buying a costlier brand help in performance

Does purchasing a one with frequency of 800Mhz give an edge??

DDR3 motherboard should be must for new PC so, Some motherboards come with "Hydra"(may be wrong) technology can any body elaborate

AMD/Intel

AMD releases process after intel so does that give AMD an edge in the same category

For eg the Best Quad core of intel not as good as the best Quad of AMD

nvidia Ati

what is exactly nvidia and ATi

I mean Asus had nvidia and later ati so what is ati and nvidia driver / technology / partner ship??

With every driver update in nvidia page they say how update makes the performance of games better

Does ati do the same????????

Last and most important any books / links using which I can learn to Choose the components of a PC?

You tube has quite a few videos from tiger TV that say about building PC

but any videos that show a PC assembled from scratch and with which ports go where instruction

"Thank God for people who Volunteer to help"

Advertisements

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi BanMidou:

To provide a targeted configuration, the most important question is: The Primary Use i.e. whether Business, Entertainment, Gaming...

BanMidou

BanMidou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi as I said I just want to clear out doubts regarding the various components

But the use mostly average gaming movies

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Well, you really need to Google some more and become more familiar. The ATX Form Factor standard establishes physical and electrical standards for home computers. An ATX compliant power supply will fit inside an ATX case and will connect and power an ATX motherboard and all peripherals. This makes home building much easier.

When self building, I suggest you choose first, whether you want to go AMD or Intel CPU. There is no right answer, it is a matter of personal choice. Both companies make excellent, reliable CPUs. I prefer Intels because, in general, Intel CPUs perform better, consume less power, and generate less heat. But, AMDs, in general, typically give you more bang for your money.

Your motherboard must support the CPU and RAM type. All the major motherboard makers have a QVL (qualified vendor list) of CPUs and RAM they have tested and verified compatible with that board. Use the lists. You don't have to buy the specific RAM listed, there are too many offerings from too many makers for them to test all. But you need to buy RAM with the same specs. Faster RAM (and 800 is not fast) gives better performance, but more important is the amount of RAM. I recommend no less than 3 Gb for triple channel motherboards and 4Gb for dual channel.

ATI and NVIDIA are the two main graphics processor unit (GPU) producers. Almost all graphics card, regardless the card maker, uses either ATI or NVIDIA GPUs. Your motherboard and CPU don't care which one. As long as your motherboard supports the interface (typically PCIe) and your PSU has the necessary power and connections, you are fine.

The foundation of a computer designed to last for many years, through several upgrades is based on a good case and good power supply. A case has two functions. (1) To house and protect the components inside from kicks, bumps, and other human carelessness and (2) provide adequate cooling via good front-to-back air flow. I like Antec cases. I don't like fancy lights - they do nothing for performance, consume some power, generate some heat and do nothing for performance - worth repeating. I pay attention to my monitors and expect my case to sit quietly, and discreetly off to the side, and NOT draw attention to itself.

Note that many retailers will "toss in" a power supply to make a case sell. I have often tossed those PSUs into the junk pile and bought a new PSU from a good maker that provides the support I need. Do not pick and size your PSU until you have selected all your other components.

BanMidou

BanMidou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi

Thanks a lot for the reply :D

As I mentioned how does one pick well which company to choose their are quite a lot of companies

Is referring a tech magazine an option?

also please could you throw some more light regarding driver update of ATI and Nvidia

Nvidia seems to provide constant updates an also include a list showing the games who`s performance improves with the update

Well the "software walla" or computer guy where I stay(India) seems to be not knowledgeable a cheat a dumb douche bag and Its not one most are

sometimes I doubt if they give me a new piece I think they refurbish the old ones! :D

Any links you could provide which gives more insight on system building will be of great help

When I asked him about ati and well sort of irritated him in a way he claims listen to the doctor who gives you a pill

He says In any game you play you see the nvidia mark so ATi is not so good

Ati is only for AMD,ATi does not have the new technology that nvidia brings in most cards

In any category!

Now is he dumb or may be is he telling the truth about ATI

ATI Asus 5670 or 5770

the PC I`m gonna build well I understand The Case Motherboard graphics are important but this seems to catch my eye!this graphics card

at less than INR Rs5000 I see this as a good card

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

As I mentioned how does one pick well which company to choose their are quite a lot of companies

When I am interested in a product, I enter the product brand and model number into Google, plus the word "review" and I read what is said. I look for reviews at tech sites most. I don't pay much attention to user reviews because happy people don't complain and most users are not qualified to compare, or test products. If many users are complaining about the same thing, however, indicating a trend, I might pay attention to that.

Ati is only for AMD

Note true at all. ATI is now owned by AMD, but ATI based cards are designed to work with Windows based computers - regardless if using an Intel or AMD CPU.

Remember, Google is your friend. How to build a computer

Spyderturbo007

Spyderturbo007

• PipPipPip
  • 760 posts

Is referring a tech magazine an option?

I know that I personally have a "bucket list" of companies that I like. I've use a lot of different vendors over the years and have narrowed it down based on failure rate and support. We all understand that you will run into component failure from time to time. That's just how it works with things that are so complex and sometimes it comes down to support after the sale.

Here are my favorite vendors.

Motherboards - Gigabyte

CPU's - Intel (for the same reasons Digerati posted)

RAM - Mushkin or G-Skill

Power Supplies - Corsair

Cases - Cooler Master

Hard Drives - Western Digital

Optical Drives - LiteOn

Video Cards - I'm pretty impartial on this one and just read the reviews.

I don't know how much that helps, but it gives you some places to start. Good luck!

BanMidou

BanMidou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Thanks will ask my friend (google for more issue/doubts)

Thanks all who replied

@ Spyderturbo007

thanks for sharing your liking even I like

Power Supplies - Corsair

Hard Drives - Western Digital

CPU's - Intel

Well me likes Westerdigital and Corsair too!

Now I know that the system guy is a @#$% :D :D

BanMidou

BanMidou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi Thanks for the replies

But could you give me a list of popular companies in the CPU case and mother board field

For Power supply Corsir was something my frind has said worked like a charm so am gonna stick with them
As for harddisk Western digital is fine

For Motherboard Asus,Gigabyte..

any suggestions What about Bio star??

For CPU case well ATX,Logitech,cooler master

Is logitech popular any experiences Please do share!

Also Does the manufacturer website have a section which says how to identify if Product is legit

Like seal protective layer etc>....

@ Digerati

whats your choice of components?

Edited by BanMidou, 15 April 2011 - 08:11 AM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I did not list my preferred companies because generally speaking (except for power supplies) they all make reliable products. It is hard, for example, to find RAM from any maker that does not have a life time warranty. When it comes to performance these days, you are typically talking differences of milliseconds between similar products. That's insignificant in the real world, unless you seek bragging rights. Also, as with most companies, some of their products are first rate, some not so much. This is often true where OEMs are concerned. For example, there are only a handful of power supply makers in the world. But there are dozens (100s?) of companies that rebrand and sell those OEM PSUs under their name. Some of these rebranded PSUs are made to the specifications and exclusive use of a specific vendor, and some are made to generic specs, and sold under many names. Antec is my favorite case maker, and they also are known for quality power supplies. But not all Antec PSUs have the best reputation. So buying because the brand name has a good reputation is no guarantee the specific model you choose will be at the same high standards. So do your homework.

That said, I do have those I prefer to work with (much in line with Spyderturbo007), though in most cases it is a matter of personal preference, and not due to any reliability issues.

Motherboards - Gigabyte is first choice, but I also like ASUS and have used MSI, Foxconn, BioStar, Chaintech with no problems

CPUs - Intel, but nothing wrong with AMD

RAM - I too like Mushkin, but also use OCZ, Crucial, Corsair, and Kingston

Power Supplies - Corsair, but last two builds were with Mushkin - very nice (something about RAM makers and PSUs), and the higher-end Antecs

Cases - Antec (I don't go for fancy facades, or as I said above, flashing lights - I watch my monitors, not my case).

Hard Drives - Western Digital, Seagate (whichever has the best price on the size I want at the time I am buying that has a 5-year or longer warranty. It must have at least 32Mb buffer, however, and SATA3. Faster than 7200RPM is too noisy for me.

Optical Drives - No preference

Video Cards - In the last couple years, I have been leaning towards NVIDIA, typically those made by XFX, ASUS, or Gigabyte. However, many motherboards are coming with very capable integrated graphics solutions and Intel integrated graphics, especially when used with a compatible i3/i5/i7 Intel CPU, works as a perfect solution for many users, especially in home theater setups.

Monitor - Samsung

UPS - APC

Networking - Netgear (though I often try to stay with same brand as wireless access point-WAP (often integrated into routers, incorrectly marketed as "wireless routers".

Of course, until Man can create perfection, not even the best companies using the finest raw materials, best manufacturing techniques, and best trained and equipped workforce can products a perfect product, 100% of the time. There will be some failures. It is then how a company handles those failures that then sets that company apart from the rest of the crowd. When it comes to after-sales support, Gigabyte, WD, and Newegg stand out in my book.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to add my useless 2 cents here. :D :D

Motherboards: I prefer Asus myself as I have always had great luck with them.

Cpu's: I am a AMD fan but the other 3 systems I have in my house are all Intel. Very little difference that I can see in them

Memory: I prefer Crucial but I have been looking at Mushkin as a great alternative.

Video: I have used both Nvidia and ATI and have no real preference. Presently I am using ATI.

Hard Drives: I use Western Digital in 95% of my builds but it depends on the user I am building for.

PSU: I am partial to Corsair

Case: I like Cooler Master and Thermaltake

Optical Drives: Plextor but because of cost I use Lite On a lot

Monitor: Right now I have a AOC and have been very happy with it. I have used Acer in the past.

Networking: When I use add on cards I usually use Intel or Linksys

UPS: Never had one but my choice would be APC

BanMidou

BanMidou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi thanks for replies :D

APC is the ups i have for current PC so the new is also gonna have this!

PSU My choice was also corsair

also is their link between hardware

i.e Corsir PSU corsair RAm better something like that?

also my lame system guy said that Hp L1908w is a great monitor
and transcend Ram are quite good any takes from experts here

As people here seem far more knowledgeable I`m gonna with the word of people here

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

also is their link between hardware

i.e Corsir PSU corsair RAm better something like that?

Not sure what you are asking. They are the same company, and Corsair RAM and Corsair PSUs are both known for quality. But do you get better performance out of Corsair RAM if you power it with Corsair power? No.

BanMidou

BanMidou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
hi

tats wat i asked

BanMidou

BanMidou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
Hi again

any sites using which I can compare hardware newegg , toms hardware are the only i can find :D