Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell E176FP monitor doesn't respond to HP pavillion 761 desktop

• Please log in to reply

erikc4l

erikc4l

• PipPipPip
  • 116 posts
Hi, I just got a HP pavillion 761 desktop from my friend and I tried hooking a Dell E176FP monitor to it but it just shows a black screen with the orange led light. I used a VGA cord to connect the dell monitor to the video card location of the desktop and nothing happened. Just showed a black screen on the monitor with the orange led light but if i unplug the cord from the desktop while the other end is still connected to the monitor, a screen like shown below shows. I have tried connecting the monitor to my HP G60 laptop and the monitor works fine. I recently bought a DVI adapter for my VGA cord and plugged it into the desktop, but the same result comes up. Please help, thank you.

This comes up when the VGA cord is plugged into the monitor and not the desktop. Also shows when the DVI adapter is NOT plugged into the VGA cord. It shows the black screen with orange led when the VGA cord is plugged into the monitor and the DVI adapter.

Posted Image

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi erikc4l,

Just showed a black screen on the monitor with the orange led light

Possible causes include a failed or incorrectly seated video card or Ram stick/s,
dust in the slot/s or a damaged video lead.

but if i unplug the cord from the desktop while the other end is still connected to
the monitor, a screen like shown below shows.

Not a good idea connecting or disconnecting hardware while the system is powered up as it
can cause device or even total system failure.

a screen like shown below shows. I have tried connecting the monitor to my HP G60 laptop and
the monitor works fine.

The image you see is generated by the monitor itself and not by your PC or video card, the fact your
monitor works through your laptop strengthens the likelihood it is the video card.
Suggestions, easiest first, check the condition of the video lead including bent pins in the connectors,
remove the video card and Ram sticks and blow out the slots with canned compressed air then re-seat each
of them securely, as your video card is the standard PCI slot type and there are 3 PCI slots try using
one of the other 2 slots, take the opportunity while the computer is open to clean out any heat trapping
dust from inside the case, see the canned text below on how to do the above safely;

If the computer needs cleaning out, first remove the power cord from the wall and open up the case, take anti static precautions before touching anything inside, you can do this by touching a bare metal part of the case, remove the video card, blow out the slot and re-seat the card securely, do the same with the memory sticks, clean all internal fans, if you use canned compressed air do not let any fan spin freely this can damage them, use something like a clean lollipop stick to hold the fan. Make sure all internal connections are secure and that there are no loose components, write down the psu details (make and model) re-assemble the computer, boot up and see how it goes