Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Vibrations affecting my computer

• Please log in to reply

kellib

kellib

• Pip
  • 2 posts
There is construction going on outside of my home office and everything inside constantly vibrates. You can see the vibrations. This has to be harming or potentially harming, my computer? Does anyone know of any good anti vibration material? Will good ol foam rubber suffice? Thank you very much!

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Vibrations can cause boards to come loose and other such problems. Foam might help some and it should be easy. A spring mount might work, but it would be a lot of work to make it. You might want to talk to whoever is doing the construction and see if you can get them to pay for something, or at least warn them of the possible damage/harm that is going on.

kellib

kellib

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's the city doing the construction and the project is supposed to last for at least a year. I'm trying to move but in the meantime I'm going to get some foam rubber I guess. The spring mount is a great idea. I'm researching that now:) I really do appreciate you taking the time to answer!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It might be hard to find these days, but you might check an office supply store for a typewriter pad. These are about 1/2 inch thick pads of foam rubber designed to keep a typewriter from dancing all over the desk.

You could also go to a crafts store and buy thick foam used in cushions to sit the computer on. I would, however, put a wood plank or the like on top of the foam, then the computer on top of the plank. This is so air can still circulate under the computer.

My concern with vibrations would be data and power connections coming loose, so you may check that. Most hard drives have vibration dampening built in, but if the vibration is severe, it might cause the drive head to come in physical contact with the platters - that would be bad. But that would also require a pretty big jolt.