Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I can't install XP

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

vral

vral

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Can please someone help me?
I am building this new pc for the first time and I seem to have problem installing xp. I have attached all the cables and devices carefully and i am able to get into bios and set up the boot priorities as floppy being the first, second cdrom, and third hard drive. as I said, bios does recognizes my cdrom, harddrive, etc. but when I pu a windows xp pro (full install) cd and restart my computer, the drive runs for a min or two and then quits and I get msg on my monitor, no boot device is found.....(something like that) and yes, I also have new hard drive that is installed on which i am trying to install win xp.
does anyone have any idea where I might have goofed?
does this have to do anything with updating my bios as I have not done that yet.
could it be my video card as I only get a blank screen when I try to install XP but the funny things is that I tried to run knoppix linux and it booted up and it showed everything as linux loads its services and everything but it could not display any graphics after linux loads up. I mean, I could see the desktop but the screen was so dark that you can barely see, looked like it was a nite in the monitor.......lol.
anyway, please help this frastuarated builder as its his first trial of building pc.

Advertisements

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
vral: Congratulations on building your first PC and welcome to this forum! :tazz:

Your video card may be giving you problems since the video driver hasn't been installed. When you turn the computer on with the XP CD in the tray, you'll see a message "Press Any Key To Boot From CD". Your computer runs POST, then tries to boot from the floppy. Next, it reads the XP CD and displays the following message - "Press Any Key To Boot From CD". It sounds as if your monitor is blacked out during this process. Since you don't press a key to boot from the XP CD, the computer tries to boot with its next and only remaining boot device - the Hard Drive. Since you have no OS loaded onto the HD yet, you get the "No Boot Device Found" error message.

When you hear that XP CD spinning....press a key on your keyboard and see what you get. You may have skipping this boot option the whole time.

Good luck....let us know if this helps you any. We may have to do some more work on that Video Card of yours. What kind of card is it? Is it PCI, AGP, or PCI-E?

vral

vral

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for quick response.
unfortunately, I dont get any messages like ' press any key to boot from a cd'.
I am using AGP card.

vral

vral

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
would updating my BIOS help any regarding an issue with my video card?

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Since your CD Rom is spinning during the boot process, I can't really pin the problem on that drive. I'm going to go back to the display problem.

First, look in your bios for anything related to the AGP slot. For some motherboards, you actually have to turn on the AGP slot in the BIOS. If you don't see this setting, or if the AGP slot is already enabled, we'll have to try something else.

You might try swapping out the video card, just for the initial install routine. If the video card is at fault, then a different (working) video card will allow you to see the "Press Any Key To Boot From CD" message. Again, if your screen is blacked out while that XP CD is spinning, try pressing a key on the keyboard any way. If the screen is blacked out, you just can't see the message. Pressing a key will still envoke the installation. Hopefully your monitor will come to life during that process. If it does, install Windows and then install the new video card.

Last, but not least, you can try swapping out monitors. In fact, this is easier than swapping out video cards (assuming you have these extra parts lying around for another system). You could try this first. Since the monitor was seemed dark while displaying Linux, you may have a bad monitor on your hands. Some products are faulty right out of the box, you know? Try a known working monitor and see what you come up with. If everything seems dark, try changing the display settings for the monitor (contrast, brightness, etc).

Tell me what happens when you boot the PC. What do you see on screen and at what point does everything black out on you? What happens when you press a button on the keyboard while the XP CD is spinning?

I hope this gets us closer to LAUNCH TIME for your new pc. Keep your chin up, we'll get you running soon. :tazz:

If you can, try to answer those last three questions for me. It'll help me out a lot. Thanks,

djgotee

djgotee

• PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
It could also be a bad winXP CD, causing the system to not boot to it.

Edited by djgotee, 29 May 2005 - 08:14 AM.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

Are you using a legitimate XP cd or a copy you or someone made for you??

Murray

vral

vral

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
magusbuckley, I have tried swapping the video card and I think my last video card was bad. I followed the steps you asked me to do but that still does not help. when press a key while the cd is spinning, it does nothing. I only get a blinking cursor after it passes BIOS. and then nothing happens. I know my monitor is good since I have tried with a different pc. My windows cd is also good, I think, becuase when I put my XP cd into a working pc, I get a windows welcome screen. So I am assuming that CD is also good.
I don't know what else is wrong with this newly build pc now.

vral

vral

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

It could also be a bad winXP CD, causing the system to not boot to it.

View Post

I don't think its a bad Win XP cd because when I put a cd in the working pc, I do get a windows welcome screen with options such as install windows xp, perform additional task, ...etc. So, I assuming that CD is good.

The problem is that CD wont start up win xp set up when I reboot my computer or start up, if it's off. I only get a blinking cursor after my computer passes BIOS test. As I said in my above post, cd seems to be spinning right after it passes BIOS but then it stops, and then I get this blinking cursor. after this screen, system is idle (with this blinking cursor) and does nothing until I turn it off or reboot it.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Where did you get your XP cd from?? Is it an original or one someone made for you??

Murray

vral

vral

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
its not an original. someone made for me.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
And that's why it won't work !!

You are using pirated software and, due to that fact, your support here as ended as this forum does NOT support pirated software!! :tazz:

Murray

Kat

Kat

Retired

• Retired Staff
  • 19,711 posts
  • MVP

And that's why it won't work !!

You are using pirated software and, due to that fact, your support here as ended as this forum does NOT support pirated software!!    :tazz:

Murray

View Post

Very well said, Murray. This topic is being closed. Here at GeeksToGo, we have a strict policy that we never break. We do not offer help to anyone using cracks, pirated software, etc. Thank you for your understanding in this matter.