Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

FONTS

• Please log in to reply

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Recently I downloaded a font pack for a project I was working on and it appears it has overrode the standard fonts that came with my laptop which is running Windows Vista. Can anyone tell me where I can download the standard fonts to restore them?

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 14 April 2011 - 06:59 AM.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
There doesn't seem to be a website where you can download the default Vista fonts (I just spent 30 minutes googling it), but I did find this:

Apparently, the original font files are backed up by Windows Vista in a different folder labelled WINSXS.
So, proceed as follows:

1) Go to Control Panel --> Fonts

2) Right-click and select "Install Font"

3) Using "Browse", navigate to C:\Windows\winsxs

4) Select all

5) Click "Install".

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 14 April 2011 - 02:48 PM.

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Thanks for your prompt reply Phillip. I tried that but its just not working...I still have the same problem which is when I try to chat with my friends in Yahoo Messenger, they see glyphs instead of the alphabet. It's very frustrating.

Edited by Certifiably Blonde, 24 April 2011 - 03:21 PM.

Hectorxzx

Hectorxzx

• Pip
  • 4 posts
What you can do is see if anyone has a comp. or laptop with windows 7 and go to the fonts folder and back it up. Hopefully this should work I was going to do it for you right now but Im actually busy if you can wait until tomorrow. Ill have no problem doiing that for you and uploading it somehow for you

Certifiably Blonde

Certifiably Blonde

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
Well thats really cool and thank you for the offer Hector but as I am running Vista, I dont think using a fontpack from Win7 would be a good idea...thanks anyways.