Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I think that Windows XP System Restore utility changed my private file

• Please log in to reply

adifrank

adifrank

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
I can't say if the problem I am facing is a Windows thing, or if it is/was malware at work on my computer.

Last week I had a bunch of strange things happening with my computer: multimedia keys on my keyboard stopped functioning, volume control on my usb speakers stopped working, then my installed printers disappeared, then audio playback got screwy...
I posted all the details about it on the Malware Removal Forum - here.
Anyways, after a few of these strange things began to appear, at one point I decided to restore my system to about a week before, hoping that it would fix things up (since I hadn't made any significant changes or updates to my system since then.
The system restore did get the multimedia keys working again, my printer drivers returned and my usb speakers were back to normal.
A few days ago, I opened up a file in My Documents and was puzzled because I was sure that I had made some changes in it some days ago and it seemed that somehow those changes were gone. I couldn't figure it out and just assumed that either I closed the file without saving it, or something of that sort.
Then this morning I found that some mp3 files that I had put in a folder in My Music were gone. The folder was there, but the mp3 files were missing. At first I didn't make the connection between the document missing recent edits and the missing mp3 files, but now I opened up an ActionScript file I was working on and found that it is an old version. It was without all the changes and additions I made over the past week or so. Luckily, I had a backup of that file, but then I put 2 and 2 together and figured that all this started happening since I did that system restore about a week ago. And it makes sense, because judging by the files mentioned, it seems like the files on the hard drive are as they were on the date to when I set the system restore to.
I clearly recall reading that System Restore only affects system files and folders and does not change my private documents. I double checked just now, googling the subject and my findings confirm that. So, I just can't figure it out. Could have my System Restore utility somehow mistaken my private folders for system folders? Is there possibly some known bug or error that might cause this?
I'll just state that Windows XP is installed on a dedicated hard drive (c:) which only contains my system and installed programs. All my private folders and files are on completely separate hard drives.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please continue with your Malware topic. If no response in 3 days then post a reminder HERE with a link to your malware topic and a short description.

adifrank

adifrank

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
hi alicewei, thanks for your tip regarding puppy linux. I've heard of it, but never used it.
Currently, emeraldnzl (a trusted helper on this forum) is coaching me through the process of getting rid of some malware that was found on my system. I'll first see that process through and see how things are. If I'm still running into problems regarding audio afterwards, I'll give puppy linux a try and get back to you. Thanks :D