Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP System Problems

• Please log in to reply

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm not sure if this addresses the drive or not, but I tried a Start, Run, Browse, Drive D (CD Drive) and chose Autorun and it brought me directly to the install window via the cd. Doesn't this mean the cd and drive are o.k.?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
do you get to the welcome to setup window

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
It says welcome to Windows XP Serivce Pack 2. Clicking "continue" takes me to an explanation of the enhanced security features of SP 2 and the "Install Button". It also included a link to access things to know before installing WinXP SP2.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you look here...

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I read through it today, but also was able to bring up the set up screen via disk boot up and process a repair of the found Windows XP Home Edition. It seemed to download and install ok. The only glitch was the intro music began playing at full volume and I had no control over it; I had to shut sound system down at the back of the speaker. The system seemed fine other than this and so I began to update and install 72 updates for Service Pack 2. Part way through this process the system went to blue screen to protect itself (mini dump).

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
just so were on the same page...you did the repair...
is/was your data there...
can you boot up now...if so go here and get WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe...one you have it downloaded shut down any programs you have running and then double click on the SP3 update WindowsXP-KB936929-SP3-x86-ENU.exe

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I made a second attempt to update Service Pack 2 and it was successful this time. I then was able to install SP3 and update it as well. I still can't seem to get past the problems with ESET NOD32 4.2.71.2 Antivirus. It continually disables itself and says things such as unable to update, failure to initialize. The first free month ESET worked fine, but as soon as I paid for it, it has been nothing but complications with my system. I haven't tried to connect my printer yet, but I'll try that next.

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I made a second attempt to update Service Pack 2 and it was successful this time. I then was able to install SP3 and update it as well. I still can't seem to get past the problems with ESET NOD32 4.2.71.2 Antivirus. It continually disables itself and says things such as unable to update, failure to initialize. The first free month ESET worked fine, but as soon as I paid for it, it has been nothing but complications with my system. I haven't tried to connect my printer yet, but I'll try that next.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
download a different AV like AVG or AVAST....then uninstall ESET and install the other AV...once you have it installed update it and run a complete scan...
are you still have problems with the volume

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Volume is under control. I was also directed to the Dell site for updates available for the system (result of blue screen crash analysis). It listed about 33 updates for my service tag, but only a few that were urgent. I have not updated the Bios since I purchased the computer in 2004. I don't know if this contributes to any problems or not. I did remove ESET after downloading AVG and so far things seem to be improving and I have not had a blue screen as of yet. A little sluggish moving around on the web, and Microsoft Outlook took several minutes to open and free up this morning (first time opened since AVG was added). I have several components listed with an AVG start that Online Armour appears to have a question mark about, so not sure all of the AVG system is operating yet. Lastly, it seems the blue screen crashes can be caused by RAM problems. Is there a way to check this?

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

it seems the blue screen crashes can be caused by RAM problems. Is there a way to check this?

yep
lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is here..
get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...

if you don't have a burning program that will burn .ISO files go here and get burncdcc ..a small FAST no frills iso
burning program...

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start by clicking on BurnCDCC.exe
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its memtest86.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start

make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device....put the cd in the cd drive..boot your computer....
let memtest run for at least 3 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 3 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests..

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Update; I'm just now able to use my computer again 8:20 P.M. EST. Apparently AVG and Online Armour didn't get along as my computer just slowed to a snails pace and would completely hang up during boot up. It seemed to occur after Online Armour scanned my system and as I mentioned was holding in question some of AVG's files that I told it to allow. I had to reboot into Safe Mode, scanned the entire system including external Hard Drive with AVG, of which the only thing it listed was several files titled as locked (unable to test). After this scan, I removed AVG via the control panel to see if again Anti-Virus was my problem, and she booted back up without incident (Although the Windows XP did trigger into a disk check of my external hard drive, but found no problems). Microsoft Outlook also did a self check as it indicated its data files were not closed properly. So the moment I only have Online Armour active. Should I proceed with the MEMTEST now or address Anti-Virus first? Also, could it be that the Anti-Virus programs tax the system enough to bring about the memory problem?

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Ran the memtest86 for three hours +/- and I'm not quite sure, but the column labeled errors was pushing close to 6,500 so I assumed that my RAM was no good. I've replaced the RAM (and increased the amount to 4 Gigs, although when I check the system in control panel it indicates 3.25 Gigs of Ram?). So far I seem to be up and running again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

although when I check the system in control panel it indicates 3.25 Gigs of Ram

?
that is because you have a 32 bit system...if you have a 64 bit OS it would see it all...

Javahead

Javahead

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
So should I try AVG again now that I have the RAM addressed? AVG doesn't bring its own firewall along does it? I've read that two firewalls, like two anti-virus programs, can reek havoc on the system.