Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Mouse Sticking & Freezing

• Please log in to reply

jtinker

jtinker

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey guys, Need a bit of help here. My mouse keeps sticking and freezing randomly, I switched it between all 8 usb ports on my pc and the same thing happens. Uninstalled or stopped anything connected to the web (ie. updaters). Cut down my process usage down to almost nothing. It happens no matter which mouse I put in on every port. I recently bought a new mouse and the same thing is happening, any help?

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 @ 3.33GHz 45 °C
Wolfdale 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Single-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz 9-9-9-24
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N64 WS PRO (LGA775)
Graphics
F-417 @ 1280x1024
1024MB GeForce GTX 285 (nVidia) 69 °C
Hard Drives
1000GB Seagate ST310003 33AS SCSI Disk Device (SCSI)
Optical Drives
SONY DVD RW AW-Q170A ATA Device
Audio
SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio

Edit note: Log removed by Digerati

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Hi jtinker and welcome.

I have removed your log primarily because it does not belong in the hardware forum. It may still be needed later elsewhere, but first, I note your system information says 4.0GB Single-Channel DDR3. But your ASUS motherboard supports Dual-Channel. If that Single-Channel refers to how the memory architecture is currently configured, it may indicate a problem, depending how your RAM is installed. It suggests to me you have 2 x 2Gb, but you do not have your RAM sticks (or one of them) inserted in the correct slots for best performance. Check your motherboard manual. Many require you to use slots 1 and 3 for two sticks to enable dual-channel for better performance.

Not sure this is your problem, but you do get better performance with dual-channel memory enabled. If you have them in the correct slots for dual channel, and your RAM is running in single channel mode, it could indicate a problem with your memory controller - a motherboard component.

While a second mouse is pretty conclusive it is not the mouse, what about the mousing surface? While many optical mice don't need pads now, the surface texture, patterns, color, and reflectiveness can make a difference - some mice doing better than others. Have you tried other surfaces?

When did the problem start? Does it seem to happen regardless your activity, or just when gaming, or surfing or something else?

How much free disk space do you have?

If you check the Registry for the mouse buffer, what does it say? The default is 100 and that works fine for the vast majority of users. But some need to increase it. I recommend in increments of 10 (110, 120, etc.), but if no better by 200, set it back to 100, and look elsewhere for the problem.
Have you scanned for malware?

jtinker

jtinker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi jtinker and welcome.

I have removed your log primarily because it does not belong in the hardware forum. It may still be needed later elsewhere, but first, I note your system information says 4.0GB Single-Channel DDR3. But your ASUS motherboard supports Dual-Channel. If that Single-Channel refers to how the memory architecture is currently configured, it may indicate a problem, depending how your RAM is installed. It suggests to me you have 2 x 2Gb, but you do not have your RAM sticks (or one of them) inserted in the correct slots for best performance. Check your motherboard manual. Many require you to use slots 1 and 3 for two sticks to enable dual-channel for better performance.

Not sure this is your problem, but you do get better performance with dual-channel memory enabled. If you have them in the correct slots for dual channel, and your RAM is running in single channel mode, it could indicate a problem with your memory controller - a motherboard component.

While a second mouse is pretty conclusive it is not the mouse, what about the mousing surface? While many optical mice don't need pads now, the surface texture, patterns, color, and reflectiveness can make a difference - some mice doing better than others. Have you tried other surfaces?

When did the problem start? Does it seem to happen regardless your activity, or just when gaming, or surfing or something else?

How much free disk space do you have?

If you check the Registry for the mouse buffer, what does it say? The default is 100 and that works fine for the vast majority of users. But some need to increase it. I recommend in increments of 10 (110, 120, etc.), but if no better by 200, set it back to 100, and look elsewhere for the problem.
Have you scanned for malware?

I did notice that about the ram + the slots are color encoded. That was my bad when putting it together. Ill switch them about and see what results I get.

For the mousing surface Ive used my wacom pen pad, mouse pad, wooden desk, a framed picture of jesus (not kidding), another wooden desk, the top of my computer case, my hand lol. Prettymuch everything i could think of. Results are the same.

The problem started a few months, I cant for the life of me rember exactly when or what I was doing on my pc at the time. IT happens randomly, i could be browsing or using photoshop or playing WoW or selecting icons on my desktop. It does it no matter what.

On this partition I have 95/244gb free and my winxp partition I have 395/686gb free.

I have not checked the registry for the mouse buffer. Ill take a look at it and post back.

I have done every scan imaginable my pc is clean of malware as far as I can tell.

edit: I was sniffing about my registry looking for the mousedataqeue so i can edit my buffer but it was not there for some reason. I do you the ccleaner registry cleaner do you think this has something to do with it. I dont have any backups of my origonal registry lying about, is there any way I could get the default win7 x64 ultimate registry back without doing a clean install.

Edited by jtinker, 16 April 2011 - 02:04 PM.

jtinker

jtinker

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hey I re-seated my ram in slot 1 & 3, the problem seems to have stopped for now. Thanks, if it pops back up ill let you know!

Edited by jtinker, 16 April 2011 - 05:19 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

Hey I re-seated my ram in slot 1 & 3, the problem seems to have stopped for now.

That's great! I hope it holds. Note I use CCleaner and don't think that would be the problem. I do, however, ALWAYS back up the Registry first - just in case - though I have not yet had to restore it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Not meaning to step on toes here, but registry cleaners are not recommended. If you do not know what you are doing you can really muck it up.

And it is always a good idea to back up the registry (just because).