Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

server confusion

• Please log in to reply

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
hi there. can anyone enlighten me why we need a server in a network?? im just confuse regarding their purpose. for example there is ftp server to transfer files but cant we not transfer files without it, as far as i know we can transfer files to another computer even without it right?? or like mail server are those things really needed?? i cant explain myself very well becoz my english is not good. i hope someone can understand why im getting confuse. pls help me coz im going to take network + and its embarassing that this simple things makes me mad.

Advertisements

Cold Titanium

Cold Titanium

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,735 posts

for example there is ftp server to transfer files but cant we not transfer files without it, as far as i know we can transfer files to another computer even without it right??

Nope. You don't need an FTP server to transfer files within a network.

or like mail server are those things really needed??

If you want to use email, then yes.

If you don't understand what servers are even for, I'd seriously reconsider taking the Net+ before you drop $100+ on it.

babyfaceassassin

babyfaceassassin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
hi Cold Titanium if we dont need ftp server to transfer files within a network you is that we only used it if its outside your network?? im now living in english speaking country and now reading books before i will enroll so i can easily understand what the trainer is talking about. if you want to email you need email server so what you mean is that its a server within a network?? becoz if i use my email i can email to someone right even though i dont have email server. ( i assume if i have yahoo account im using yahoo email server to email)thanks Cold Titanium. Hope a clearer explanation will come. thanks