Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WinZip 9 Uninstall before Upgrade to 15.0

• Please log in to reply

eliuri

eliuri

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello:

I was advised to uninstall WinZip 9.0 prior to upgrading to WinZip 15.0

I have many zipped/compressed files. Some of these are Operating System-related or part of program files, which are associated with WinZip 9.0

When I go to the Add/Remove section of the Control Panel to uninstall WinZip 9.0 , I'm informed that the uninstall will remove the WinZip Program folder/files , WinZip registry items, and WinZip files.

I'm concerned if this might mean that files now associated with WinZip 9.0 will be removed. Since many of these are vital OS and/or Program Files , as noted above, I did not go through with the uninstall , pending further advisement on this matter.

Does that notification actually mean that those zipped/compressed files will be deleted, or is it referring to WinZip program files not otherwise part of that program folder....???

Would be grateful for further clarification of this matter:

-Eliuri
=====================

Windows XP Professional Edition SP3
WinZip 9.0
(Hoping to upgrade to WinZip 15.0)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Copy them to another drive, external drive, rewritable cd or a flash drive.
Uninstall and then install version 15. Then copy the files back to the same folder in the now version 15 installation.

eliuri

eliuri

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Copy them to another drive, external drive, rewritable cd or a flash drive.
Uninstall and then install version 15. Then copy the files back to the same folder in the now version 15 installation.

===========================================

Thanks rshaffer.

1) Are u saying than that those compressed OS and Program files I mentioned are actually deleted during the WinZip uninstall?

2) I can copy them to an external drive, but since there are so many of them in quite a number of oflders , it would be quite hard to keep track of their original folder paths...

Wonder if there's a simpler way?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The only way to be safe is to back them up like I said.
You could do a search for *.zip and then select all and copy them to the external.
I myself would Install version 15 to a different folder and then make sure it sees the files. If so then I would uninstall the old one.
I don't think it will delete the zip files as I have never had it happen to me.