Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

help with router!

• Please log in to reply

vanillarose

vanillarose

• PipPip
  • 25 posts
Ok so here is problerm. Past few months iv been using my router to sue my laptop wirelessly. I have a netgear router and n etgear flash drive type thign that aloowes me to get wirelss signal so that i can sue my laptop anywhere in house. Its been working good, no issues. The other night i shut it off and next day suddenly i couldnt sue my laptop, wasnt getting signal. well i come to my room and check my destop and it wasnt showing any connectivity. Its liek router was suddenly interfering with my destop. so, I unplug the router and voila!..suddenyl my destop works. its been few days and i try ti again and sona s router was plugged into mt destop again my destop wont connect to intermet. tis never done that in all these months. In ee my router to work again desopersatly so i can use my laptop again, this router is less than a year old so its fairely new. I just dont understand how ti messed up overnight. C an anyone help?

Advertisements

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
make and model of the router
do you also have a separate modem if so make and model of modem

so, I unplug the router and voila!..suddenyl my destop works.

dont understand this - can you explain exactly how everything is connected together - not sure why unplugging a router allowed the desktop to work - isnt the desktop connected to the router to gain internet access if you removed this how is the desktop getting internet access

need full details of how all connected and what ports are used

ie

Modem ==> <cable to internet port on > ==> router ==> < cable from LAN 1 - to PC - lan connection> Desktop PC

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
The router is a netgear

wireless-N 300 router WNR2000

I think this si what your looking for, um not sure

no, I only have i router and one modem. Modem info is...

ARRIS... and modle is CM55OA

we gety interbet fine wihtout the router, we just got router so that i coud use my laptop wiht being connected to b unch of wires and such. our neuighbor gave it to us and its all been working fine for months as i said and suddenly overnight it was jacking up my big destop cmputer not eltting it connect to internet.

ok so ill explain this best i can. The ethernet cable going fomr back of router is connected to the port on back of my pc tower. and then the other ethernet cord going fomr my modem connects to back of my router. does that make sense? I had tech guy cemo out and he showed me that the router was gettign signal from my modem, and he fiddled with it but he too discovered that whenhe just disabled and unhooked router from my poc internet satrted working again/ message i get when router is hooked up is "limited or no connectivity" but when i unhook router ev erythign works fine again. I relaly dont undserstand how overngiht it suddenly doesnt work

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello vanillarose:

Please ensure Ethernet Cable from modem is connected to WAN port of router, the router is properly configured, and before using wireless please secure it

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
im not sure what you mean by WAN. there is onyl 5 diff ports on my router. the internet port and 4 diff ethernet ports

Jmonte

Jmonte

• Pip
  • 7 posts
The internet port is the WAN port he is referring to.

What operating systems are you using?

First download the latest update your router here. After that is downloaded connect to your router using the desktop. Open up whatever browswer you use and type "192.168.1.0" or "192.168.1.1" into the address field. A box will prompt you to type a user name and password in. By default they should be "admin" as the username and "password" as the password unless you changed them yourself (I highly suggest you do if you haven't yet.) Find the maintenance tab when you are at the main menu and then select upgrade router. You should see a button that says browse. Click that and find the file that you just downloaded earlier. Click upload and let that run until it says it is finished.

If that doesnt work right away try disconnecting both the modem and the router. First unplug or turn off the modem. Then unplug or turn off your router. Wait about 30 seconds. Turn on or plug back in your modem. Wait another 30 seconds and then do the same to the router.

keep us updated.

Edited by Jmonte, 17 April 2011 - 10:19 PM.

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
well that is an issue. see our neighbor gave us that router, he was using it to get wirelsss internet a this place, he installed [program on my computer and he had his own password and such and program is no longer installed on my pc, so does this mean im screwed?

etaf

etaf

• PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
whats the make and exact model of the router

lets see a xirrus screen shot, and ipconfig /all - details below

you should be able to setup a router without a program, so not sure what program you are referring to

have you carried out a full power cycle ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to power cycle

“power cycle” process to reboot or reset the modem/router
  • Switch off all the devices modem, router and computers also unplug their power cables.
  • Wait at least 30 seconds.
  • Plug the power cords back in, but don’t switch them on.
  • First turn on the modem and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Next switch on the router (if a seperate device ) and then wait for a few minutes for it to settle and all the lights to become stable.
  • Now turn on your computer, You should now be able to access the Internet.
ipconfig /all
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to paste the results into something like notepad and then copy onto a machine that can access the internet and post results here

We would like to see the results from ipconfig /all post back the results in a reply here

Hold the Windows key and press R, then type CMD then press Enter to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following command:

Note that there is a space before the /ALL, but there is NOT a space after the / in the following command.

ipconfig /all > network.txt & network.txt

It will export the results to notepad and then automatically open notepad.

Now all you need to do is copy and paste those results to a reply here
to do that:
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Select all
all the text will be highlighted
Next
From the notepad menu - choose Edit - Copy
Now go back to the forum - reply and then right click in the reply box and paste
Run Xirrus Wi-Fi Inspector Download and install
If you cannot access the internet with this PC, then you will need to copy the program across to the faulty PC

http://www.xirrus.co...y/wifitools.php
Direct link to the program is here http://www.xirrus.co...ad_redirect.php
Then run and install the program - on a wireless enabled PC/Laptop
if you get an error - You need NET Framework installed for the WiFi Inspector to function.

Run the program

post a screen shot of the program running - if there are a lot of networks showing can you click on "networks" top lefthand area - so we can see all the network information, and also post which network "Adapter Name" (1st column) is yours on the list

To post a screen shot of the active window, hold the Alt key and press the PrtScn key. Open the Windows PAINT application and Paste the screen shot. You can then use PAINT to trim to suit, and save it as a JPG format file.
To upload it to the forum, open the full reply window and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
Full details are here http://library.techg...ng_a_Screenshot

Note:
For a reliable (or robust as the Xirrus user guide says) wireless connection you need a signal of about -70 dBm or better.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello vanillarose:

You could find the default IP, User ID, and Password at the bottom of router. If you are trying to use it with the same settings as that of your neighbor - most likely it will not work even you have same ISP, as you have your own user ID that is associated with the mac address of your modem

Please provide the exact model of your router, and also obtain information from ISP about:

• IP address (in case you have Static)
  • DNS server address
  • Default Gateway
Once you gather all information please post back and someone will assist

vanillarose

vanillarose

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Hello vanillarose:

You could find the default IP, User ID, and Password at the bottom of router. If you are trying to use it with the same settings as that of your neighbor - most likely it will not work even you have same ISP, as you have your own user ID that is associated with the mac address of your modem

Please provide the exact model of your router, and also obtain information from ISP about:

• IP address (in case you have Static)
  • DNS server address
  • Default Gateway
Once you gather all information please post back and someone will assist

um how do i get this infomration?

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi vanillarose:

By calling your Internet Service Provider
:D