Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

New Computer Problems

• Please log in to reply

krcostello87

krcostello87

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I ordered parts separately from newegg, my build is as follows:

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) Quad-Core
MSI N560GTX-TI Twin Frozr II/OC GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB
ASRock Fatal1ty P67 PROFESSIONAL (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready
ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED 120mm 2 Ball Low-noise Blue LED CPU Cooler

Anyways after putting everything together I proceeded to plug it in and turn it on. The computer powered on for what seemed like about a half a second (saw the lights and the fans blink on then off) then it wouldnt start at all for a couple attempts. So obviously at this point I was pretty freaked out, 1200$ into this system and it wont start. I unplugged the gpu and put it into a different pci slot then tried to start it again. This time it comes on everything is running (including the HD i can feel it spinning) however I'm getting no display at all as the computer continues to idle. I tried multiple display methods but nothing.. I unplugged the gpu and put it into another computer and it runs fine displays perfect so I kno its not the gpu. I'm thinking its a faulty motherboard? What do you guys think?

Also I have 2 other questions...

1. For first time boot can the display be plugged in with HDMI? Should HDMI work in all cases?
2. Thermal Compound for the CPU I accidentally put a little too much on and then when I disassembled it again, a tiny bit of it got to the bottom of the CPU. Will this ruin the cpu? or can i simply wipe the solution off with some alcohol and a quetip? thank you..

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts
Hi krcostello87 :D
Best couple of suggestions I can make would be first remove the MB and do a bare bones set-up on a piece of cardboard (make sure it is larger than the MB) only connect the PSU, the GFX card 1 stick of Ram and the keyboard.
You will then need to short out the 2 power on pins on the MB header to get the PSU to activate, you can use a small flat bladed screwdriver or a paper clip bent into a U shape, this is perfectly safe if you do not touch anything else, the idea is to see if we can get a BIOS screen if you do you can then add one component at a time until you find the problem component, you must power down and remove the power cord from the wall before adding a component, second suggestion try a known working PSU, it is not unknown for new components to be bad, third suggestion try removing the CMOS battery for a few moments and then replace it, this will ensure that the MB has the default factory settings.
Common causes for this issue include the MB shorting out due to an incorrectly placed stand-off beneath the MB, a bared wire or stray screw doing the same, the 4 0r 8 pin MB power connector not being connected correctly or if at all and the 6 pin pci-e connector/s not being plugged into the video card.

1. For first time boot can the display be plugged in with HDMI? Should HDMI work in all cases?

Not 100% certain about the HDMI part of your question but unless the MBs BIOS settings determine otherwise add on video cards generally overide onboard video chips but as your MB does not have onboard video it is not an issue.

2. Thermal Compound for the CPU I accidentally put a little too much on and then when I disassembled it again, a tiny bit of it got to the bottom of the CPU. Will this ruin the cpu? or can i simply wipe the solution off with some alcohol and a quetip?

This could short out the CPU/MB,99% pure alchohol or thermal material remover may be used for cleaning this but great care must be taken to ensure that you do not bend any pins.
I hope the above is of some assistance and post back with any results or if we can help you at all.

krcostello87

krcostello87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I'm afraid none of the suggestions did anything =( I plugged the cpu and gpu in my friends motherboard and they both work. should I just RMA the motherboard back? How does a MB go bad like this? dont they test these expensive MB's before selling them?

krcostello87

krcostello87

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
btw thanks very much for the help!!

phillpower2

phillpower2

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 20,016 posts

I'm afraid none of the suggestions did anything =( I plugged the cpu and gpu in my friends motherboard and they both work. should I just RMA the motherboard back? How does a MB go bad like this?don'tt they test these expensive MB's before selling them?

It would appear that the MB may have a problem with the graphics card slot, you have been thorough in testing what components you can with only the MB and PSU not being tested conclusively, but as the other components function with the GPU removed and the GPU works fine in your friends computer I would suspect the MB and suggest you RMA it to avoid possible damage to other components.
Sorry to say but quality control does not appear to be as good as it needs to be anymore.