Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anticlimatic Boot Up

• Please log in to reply

raylanw

raylanw

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey all,

I recently dumped 2.5k into a rig and just got finished building it (tech savvy level definitely low). When the moment of truth came upon me to plug and power, all the LED's and fans were working beautifully...but the screen had no display and there was no signature "beep". My initial thought was that the motherboard is fried. However, when installing my CPU I gently placed it in and lowered the lever as told to do so in the manual, it didn't really feel like it set in though (like a USB port or RAM/GFX card). Maybe the CPU is "loose"? Maybe the hard drive isn't connected? Any help would be appreciated. My weekend of triumph has hit a dead end for now =[.

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5002AALX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Intel Core i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601950
CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
G.SKILL PIS Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2200 (PC3 17600) Desktop Memory Model F3-17600CL7D-4GBPIS (X2)
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 012-P3-1472-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) SuperClocked 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support (X2)

Thanks!

Edited by raylanw, 16 April 2011 - 01:46 PM.

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Disconnect everything from the Motherboard except
  • keyboard
  • mouse
  • video output
  • 20+4 powercable
  • 4/8 pin 12v wire both coming from the powersupply,
  • Cpu fan wire
  • power and reset button to the case
  • case speaker
Now you should have NOTHING connected to the motherboard except what was listed above.

The goal here is just to test the mobo:

If the computer still will not boot up the please remove the motherboard from the computer along with the power supply

place the motherboard on a piece of card board larger than the motherboard,

this will eliminate a short from the mobo to the case which could be a possibility

Install the cpu with, 1 stick ram in dimm 1, power supply, case switch and case speaker
Connect ps2 mouse and keyboard along with the monitor
Repeat the above and power on
If the computer now boots into bios you most likely had a case short so make sure when installing the motherboard in the case that you use standoffs,
and they line up with the mounting holes in the motherboard and none of the standoffs touch anything else on the underside of the board.

Thanks to Cbarnard for these instructions

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Working on the first thing for now, if it comes to the second, my screens/set up are in my room which is carpeted. I usually come out to the hardwood floor to tweak, how can I safely do the second step without frying it for sure by myself? Thanks!

Edited by raylanw, 16 April 2011 - 02:23 PM.

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Actually...how do I connect the video output without the graphics cards in? Also, what am I looking for when I boot up to tell em that it works? Thanks!

Edited by raylanw, 16 April 2011 - 02:28 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
You will have to put in the graphics card unless the mobo has built on video.
If the system gets to a post screen on the monitor then it works.
You are not even getting that now correct?

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
I'm putting back in 1 graphics card to connect my screens. Disconnected the hard drive, optical drive and left only one stick of RAM in. Had to keep the case USB cord in since my mouse/keyboard are USB. Otherwise, disconnected the other things. Is that correct? Sorry, not too experienced in this =/

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
With CPU fan in, USB in, 1 GFX, 1 stick of RAM and the power supply cables in, still no display. The computer sounded more lively on start up, no loud beep though.

Edit: Every time I turn on the computer, lights next to the RAM turn on though. Does this mean the motherboard isn't fried?

Edited by raylanw, 16 April 2011 - 04:00 PM.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

The computer sounded more lively on start up, no loud beep though.

Are you saying you were getting a constant loud beep?
Just a single beep that was continuous?

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
There are two faint beeps at the start up. With my old computer (which I still have on hand), there's usually the loud beep and the rattle rattle signature startup. With this one, it's just the two faint beeps after the power button is pressed and only the sounds of the fans thereafter. But, are the lights on the motherboard lighting up a good sign?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

But, are the lights on the motherboard lighting up a good sign?

Normally yes that means the board is getting power.

Two Beeps: POST/CMOS Error

If this is what you are describing then it would seem that either the cmos battery is faulty or the bios itself is faulty.
Is there power going to the video card from the PSU?
Is there more then one power connector from the psu to the mobo?

Advertisements

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
First of all, thanks for being so helpful and prompt with your responses. I really appreciate it a lot Shaffer. Regarding your question, the 24 pin and 8 pin connecters from the PSU are connected to the mobo. For the 470, both 6 pin connecters from the PSU are also in. These beeps aren't so much beeps as they are two slightly sharper whirring sounds. Basically, these beeps are far different from the normal beep on startup. A lot more faint and sounds more like a mechanical whirring. This might not be too clear in writing, let me know if I can clear anything up.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Do you have one video card or two?

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Two on hand, one installed. The one has two 6 pin ports for the psu which are both connected. The other card I put back in it's box for now.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Just to check can you try the other video card?

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Alright, one sec.