Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Anticlimatic Boot Up

• Please log in to reply

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
...No cigar. Just double checking, the hard drive does NOT have to be plugged in right?

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope even with no hd the system should post and then stop when it tries to read the hd.

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Any other suggestions? Should I be contacting the mobo manufacturer or is that not the problem?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
At this point if it is under warranty then yes contact them and see what they say. It sounds to me like the either the mobo or the video card is bad but since you have two video cards and have tried them both with the same results I don't believe it to be a video card issue. It may be the PCIe slots are not working.

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Doing an RMA through the vendor. Your help was appreciated Shaffer. Thanks.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did they agree with the assessment we came to?

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
The vendor didn't ask for an explanation. They just produced an RMA #. No complaints here

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let us know what the ending result is or if you need further assistance. We always want to know good or bad the final outcome.
I will continue to watch for your results when you receive the new mobo.

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Will do. Shipping through UPS tomorrow. Thanks.

raylanw

raylanw

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hey Shaffer part just came in and the computer works so must have been the mobo. I have a separate question for you. I'm noticingthat my gpu is hitting 60ish idle because of the dual monitors. If I'm running sli can I plug in the second monitor into the second gpu to lighten the load or is that not possible or helpful? Thanks!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Won't lighten the load as that just adds a second monitor.
The best way is to make sure there is nothing blocking air flow in the system and if possible add a fan that specifically blows on the GPU's.