Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

3 PC's on 'Wired' Network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Physically disconnect all other computer from your router except the ailing computer. Restart router and the computer then test if the connection has improved.

Advertisements

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
okay ... followed the last instructions and here is what happened.

Using Chrome, I was able to go to the Google webpage, but only the words at the very top showed up (Images, Videos, Web etc...). I then tried IE (not sure which version) and was able to load the Google Home page entirely. This was all VERY SLOW ... minutes. I then went back and tried Chrome again and didn't even get the words on top and then went back to IE and couldn't load up the page at all.

I then came out to MY COMPUTER (main computer in the house) and hooked the chords back into the router and got a message.

Windows has detected an IP address conflict

Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact
your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available
in the Windows System Event log.

Is this why the other computer isn't working right?

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts

I then came out to MY COMPUTER (main computer in the house) and hooked the chords back into the router and got a message.

Windows has detected an IP address conflict

Another computer on this network has the same IP address as this computer. Contact
your network administrator for help resolving this issue. More details are available
in the Windows System Event log.

Is this why the other computer isn't working right?

Yep. :)

Error - 4/13/2011 7:59:22 PM | Computer Name = MOONDOGS | Source = Dhcp | ID = 1002
Description = The IP address lease 192.168.1.102 for the Network Card with network
address 0013204F8608 has been denied by the DHCP server 192.168.1.1 (The DHCP Server
sent a DHCPNACK message).

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
Okay ... now how do I fix this? I have no idea how I set the network up in the first place and no idea how to fix this error?

Any idea how this might have happened?

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Do this on all the computers connected to the router.

• Press Start > Control Panel > Network Connections.
  • Right-click on your Lan Connection and choose properties.
  • Highlight Internet Protocol and click properties.
  • Check that Obtain IP Address Automatically is check (same with DNS connection)
  • Click OK to close.

Next

You must reset the router to its default configuration. This can be done by inserting something tiny like a paper clip end or pencil tip into a small hole labeled "reset" located on the back of the router. Press and hold down the small button inside until the lights on the front of the router blink off and then on again (usually about 10 seconds).

moondog830

moondog830

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 804 posts
This is where it will be very confusing for me

Main PC runs Win7

Wife's PC runs Vista

Ailing PC runs XP

I can't find the Network Connections on Win7 or Vista ... and went to Network and Sharing, but am lost at that point.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
For Vista and Windows 7

• Open Network Connections by clicking the Start button Posted Image, and then clicking
    Control Panel. In the search box, type "adapter", and then, under Network and Sharing Center, click View network connections.
  • Right-click the connection that you want to change, and then click Properties.Posted Image If you're prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
  • Click the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, click Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), and then click Properties.

Posted Image
    The Network Connection Properties dialog box
  • To get IP settings automatically using DHCP, click Obtain an IP address automatically, and then click OK.

Salagubang

Salagubang

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 3,891 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.