Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Hibernate?

• Please log in to reply

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
I was afraid of that, so be it.

I have successfully cloned my HD to another HD and will try to do repair as in the link from past forum. Hibernate is sure enough a pain, but will be worth it if it works. Here goes!

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Yeah something has really changed here and I'm not sure either but we will dig till we find it.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
For some reason, even after making the DVD drive #1 in boot in Bios, it won't boot from CD, tried now for an hour, turning back CD drive to master and unhooking spare HD, etc, so giving up for tonight! Had this problem years ago but can't remember what to do.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you saying you had to change a jumper on the back of the cd drive?
Is it at the end of the ribbon now?
Is main hd also on a ribbon and if so is it a different ribbon then the cdrom is on?

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Main HD is sata...CD rom and extra HD are on ribbon. Just trying to make it boot off cd. Changed everything back including bios to boot from HD again. It just wouldn't boot from cd no matter what I do.

Also, computer is running at 1/2 speed now, restoring back to a few days ago.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you sure you are saving the changes before exiting bios?
Usually would be F10 to Save and Exit. Then you will prompted to click Y to verify the save and exit.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Might have confused with my last post.
Normally, Main HD is sata hook up directly to board, Storage HD in on first bar of ribbon set as master, cd drive is on the end set as slave.

I was changing stuff around trying to get it to boot from cd disc. so put on jumper on cd drive for master, then unhooked spare HD completley. Might have should moved the cd drive on first part of ribbon instead of leaving on last. Do you think that could be reason not booting from cd?

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Also, would you think a PCI Power Management Adapter Card would be best in this situation? I can get one cheap.

Last month, Last month 2 of us spent hrs trying to get my audio working right, gave up and bought a new Rocket fish audio card for $8.00 and it fixed the problem immediatly.

Don't know enough about the cards for power management to know if it might fix this problem the easy way.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Are you sure you are saving the changes before exiting bios?
Usually would be F10 to Save and Exit. Then you will prompted to click Y to verify the save and exit.

Yes to all of the above. Went back and ckd it, and cd rom is on top in first order. Remembered to use the + to move it up this time!

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Might have should moved the cd drive on first part of ribbon instead of leaving on last. Do you think that could be reason not booting from cd?

Exactly, move it to the end of the ribbon and set as master.
Then try to make sure the bios boot sequence is set correctly.

Advertisements

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Exactly, move it to the end of the ribbon and set as master.

That is what I tried at the last attempt.. Going to try setting the cd drive back to master and unhooking the spare HD completly, and putting cd on first connector on ribbon and of course moving bios back to boot from cd. After that don't know what to do to get it to boot.

Last month I replaced old HD with new one, replaced old processor with dual core 2, three days ago, and added rocketfish audio card. Hibernate tab was missing over 6 mos ago.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
Decided to go ahead and do a complete XP Professional install. I have the prior HD that was cloned to this one and made backups too so can't loose my important stuff.

Do you know the commands to wipe the HD, since it won't boot from CD? I have the procedure written down somewhere.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

http://lifehacker.co...atch-157578.php

Since it won't boot from the cdrom the command would be format c:\
Now one question if you format and it won't boot from the cdrom how are you going to reload it? The system needs to boot from the cdrom to reinstall.

rc775

rc775

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts

Go HERE for step by step instructions on how to partition, format, and install XP fresh

http://lifehacker.co...atch-157578.php

Since it won't boot from the cdrom the command would be format c:\
Now one question if you format and it won't boot from the cdrom how are you going to reload it? The system needs to boot from the cdrom to reinstall.

I'll make it boot from cd after HD is clean...Might be HD was cloned and for some reason won't let me. I have done at least 30 complete installs, had 24 computers couple years ago from my work, they bought new ones and gave them to me, all my family and friends got 1. I know enough about computers just to be dangerous. From Jonesboro, Ar.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

From Jonesboro, Ar

Just right down the road from me in Memphis, Tn.
You will need to boot to a recovery console to format the C drive and then do a Fresh install by wiping the partition(s) and then setup a single partition.
Format using NTFX and then install XP.
That should take you back to like new status. All updates will have to be done to get the system up to speed.
Make sure when you install drivers you start with the Motherboard chipset first.
Video
Internet
Sound
That is the order to install. MOBO chipset needs to be first to make sure USB and everything on mOBO is correct first.