Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tilting computer causes it to freeze up

• Please log in to reply

webmeister7

webmeister7

• Pip
  • 2 posts
anyone ever heard of a computer freezing up every time you lift the tower at an angle? What part needs replacing?? Its a new computer but my friend built it for me so could be a loose piece rather than a defective one but I dont see anything not in there tight.

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
I would check every single connection again. If you do not see or cannot find anything loose or out of place, then I would suspect an extra standoff or other foreign object under the motherboard. Cases are designed to support 1000s of motherboards. This means the case typically will have several more mounting holes than the motherboard. A common mistake of newbie and distracted experienced users is to use an extra standoff in the case which shorts out the motherboard. In your case, lifting the case may put just enough twisting torque on the case to cause contact. The solution is to pull the motherboard and verify no extra standoffs, or other foreign objects are under it.

webmeister7

webmeister7

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Appreciate the advice, I'll take it apart and see if thats whats up. Thanks much!

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Do make sure you unplug from the wall, and touch bare metal of the case before reaching in to discharge any static.