Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video Issues and gateway gt5058

• Please log in to reply

Lauram18

Lauram18

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I am working on a Gateway GT5058 for a friend and need some suggestions on a video issue.
The computer boots up but the display is not visable. No beeps codes...nothing.
I added a video card, heard one quick beep, still no display.
While to computer was on, I unplugged the montitor from the installed card I put in, and plugged the monitor into the on board video slot...the display came on.

Rebooted, no display again.. using the installed video card or the onboard. No beeps. The computer stays on just no display.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Go into setup and check that you have onboard graphics enabled.
BIOS setup is normally F2 but could be delete.
Save that setting which is normally F10 and exit.

Check if you now have a display.

What is the card please, make and model

Lauram18

Lauram18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello,
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked the BIOS. There was not a setting for onboard video. I was surprised actually. I went through all the menues and checked. The video card is: NVida GeForce 6100GPU. Some additional info: IRQ: 16, Video BIOS version: 5.51.22.30.17, Forceware version: 81.33
Thanks!

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Here is the link to the Gateway site
http://support.gatew...008847sp3.shtml

The computer has four memory sticks of 512Mb each according to the specifications.
This could be a ram issue, open the case, taking normal anti-static precautions and take out three sticks of ram, leaving just one. see if it wil now display using ONBOARD graphics.
If not change the one that is in for each of the other three.
If it then boots and displays with one of them - as it is DUAL core, populate the other slot of the dual core, - AFTER closing and shutting down.
When you have both slots of one core populated you may then put in the other stick and replace the one that it failed ON when testing with just the one.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 18 April 2011 - 02:33 PM.

Lauram18

Lauram18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,
Again thank you for your suggestions. I tried what you suggested and nadda. Same issues. I tried a couple of more things.
I took out all of the ram and booted the machine up - should have gotten some beep codes and did not. Tried another known working hard drive, same issue. Tried a different power supply and ribbon cable, same result. At this point I am thinking the motherboard is done.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
When you power on does the screen then show the post setup and can you then enter BIOS. It is very unlikely if you mean another known working hard drive with an operating system, that it will boot to the O/S on this computer.
Presumably as you say

I went through all the menues and checked.

The answer is YES

See if it will boot to Puppy
Try another bootable CD for instance make a Puppy CD, that will test the hardware

Puppy Linux
See this link
http://distro.ibibli...fulldrivers.iso
and
Get puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso download it and burn it to cd using this
http://www.snapfiles...t/burncdcc.html

NOTE...do not put a blank cd in until burncdcc opens the tray for you
1. Start BurnCDCC
2. Browse to the ISO file you want to burn on cd/dvd ....in this case its puppy-2.16-seamonkey-fulldrivers.iso
3. Select the ISO file
4. click on Start
make sure in the bios the cd drive is the first boot device.... - you can ignore this part if your Cd is already the first boot device
  • Change the second drive to the C or Main Drive
    Once that is done then click F10 to Save and Exit
    You will prompted to enter Y to verify Save and Exit. Click Y and the system will now reboot with the new settings.
Make sure the cd you burned is in the cd drive before clicking Y and then your system will reboot. Puppy will boot and run totally in ram...if your hardware is is good working order you will know...

Lauram18

Lauram18

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I tried a known working hard drive. Initially it booted up and it would display on the screen. I tried this a couple of times, switching back and forth between the existing drive and my working drive. After a couple of go arounds, it started acting up again - no display, keyboard lights not lighting up. Hard drive was silent.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Try Puppy

mrpakipot

mrpakipot

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
im no expert but maybe you can try other monitor