Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Xbox 360 Media recognition problem

• Please log in to reply

Ilaena

Ilaena

• Pip
  • 6 posts
So for Christmas, I got an Xbox 360. We use it for playing games, but we also use it for streaming videos/movies from my boyfriend's computer. It recognizes his computer, we can go to his video folder and stream certain videos, but sometimes when we download new movies, it won't recognize them, even after they are shared and we restart everything. The weird part is they are the same format as some that work: avi, and often, the Xbox will recognize them and stream them AFTER we've watched them on the computer. This is minorly frustrating- is there something we should be doing to make it read all avi files? Is there a difference in format from avi to avi? Any help at all is appreciated. The Xbox360 in question is a Xbox360 slim, 250gb hard drive, I believe everything is wirelessly connected to the network- the computer is a home built 2 year old computer. Any other information you need I will gladly provide.

Advertisements

mrq201

mrq201

• PipPipPip
  • 252 posts
same thing happens to me and I have yet to find out why

NayNay1991x

NayNay1991x

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
You should definetly not have any Problems playing .avi file types on an Xbox 360, Have you tried playing them whilst some are on a Memory stick/External Hard Drive?.