Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Stop: c000021a Fatal system Error...Laptop will not boot up

• Please log in to reply

Jes 415

Jes 415

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I took over a Sony Vaio PCG-7A2L from a friend of mine which had a trojan cycler in it. I did some online research and found combofix as a possible solution to repair the trojan cycler. I had to uninstall ad-aware and avg 9.0 to run combofix. The first couple of attempts to remove AVG were unsuccesful. I did some more reasearch and found a link that would remove AVG completely. After removing avg, I ran combofix which restarted my computer. When it restarted the following appeared in a blue screen:

Stop: c000021a {Fatal System Error}
The session manager initialization system process terminated with a status of 0xc000003a (0x00000000 0x00000000).
The system has been shutdown.

I did some more research and found a link that instructed me to create a Hiren's Bootable CD and rename the winlogon.exe file in system32 and then find winlogon.exe and copy and paste it in from either system32/dllcache or ServicePackFiles\i386 into the system32 folder. I did all of that, but i still have the same results. Below are all of my details.

Sony Vaio PCG-7A2L
Windows XP Home edition
Will not boot up in safe mode or at all, goes to blue screen with the stop message above
I DO NOT have the restore discs (my friend is still looking for them)
i can list the trojan cycler info if needed, but i'll wait and place that concern in the appropriate forum

Thanks!!!

Edited by Jes 415, 17 April 2011 - 04:31 PM.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Please visit our "Virus, Spyware & Malware Removal" forum and follow the "Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide" instructions. This will guide you through a few preparations, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log in that forum.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from one of our malware experts, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Jes 415

Jes 415

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hi! Thanks for responding. I will head over to the other forums. Thanks!

Edited by Jes 415, 19 April 2011 - 12:12 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since you took over the laptop I suggest you buy a restore cd from sony...it will cost about $25.00 and it will put the system back to like it was when it left the factory...

Jes 415

Jes 415

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Thanks for the reply. I will look into purchasing a new restore disc. I'm actually waiting for someone on the malware forum to respone to the post I created over there. I will still end up buying a disc, but in the meantime I want to get it up and running if possible. Thanks again!

Edited by Jes 415, 22 April 2011 - 05:20 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :D