Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

ATi and their Macabre Cursor of Death.

• Please log in to reply

IO-error

IO-error

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Hi Geekstogo and everybody on this earth who has connected to the internet.

Intro
For people with ATi-cards, this title immediately signals a must-read-event.
The last 5 years or so, a stupid bug shows up, which was produced and manufactured by ATI.
The bug occasionally fubar's your cursor and takes a dump on it when you try to use it on a multi-monitor setup.

After a huge load of patches and bugfixes, the bug was never named in any fixlog, known issues, ticket-box or whatever.
*ALL* ATi users with multi-monitor setup are getting harassed by this annoying bug.

If you can't image how annoying it is, do the following:
-Download a cursor creator program.
-Make a cursor which is completely BLACK.
-Put it as the cursor to select text with èt voilá, perfect recipe for madness.

The above is simmilar to what ATi shoves us through our throats.
An unusable cursor in most cases, since the clickpoint is at a random point in the MCoD (NOT top left corner of the image).

Experiences
1. I did some research while at school and while at home. At school, the teachers told me that this bug would be fixed soon enough. They replaced the ATI-card the next week with an nVidia one and claimed that it was the solution to the bug, even showing me physically that the bug was gone. I found out it was an nVidia card the next day.

2. At first it seemed random and easily fixable by moving your cursor outside the main screen (in case of dual-monitor) and hope... just hope.

3. The last 3 patches show nothing about the phenomenon or bug, but now the bug will now NOT solve itself in any way.
Meaning ATi DID do something with it, but never worth telling the audience, probably out of sheer stupidity.

After talking with my supplier, I've been told things I may not put on this forum and you can guess what that was.

ATi doesn't care, hence I post this thread.
When I do this at any ATi associated websites, my threads gets deleted or sometimes even mauled completely.
That means my text has been replaced by something flame-worthy and the fanboys start doing their damned 12yo ATi-FanBoy comrade song and flip me off together.

I informed AMD of this problem, after they took over ATI, because I felt responsible for the research I did.
They didn't like my effort of trying to get the message out to others. The thread got deleted 2 days after I received my answer through e-mail.

Ok, all jokes and satire aside now.
My research has come up with the following.
1. The bug is reproducible, meaning it's a scripted event.
2. The bug has different methods of obscuring the cursor per cursor.
3. The bug was gone for a short while, evidently, unfortunately, ATi decided to put it back in. This was version 9.11 if I'm not mistaken.
4. *ALL* threads that say anything about this bug either gets closed immediately, or are unviewable by forum members. ***This is the reason why ALL those threads only have 1 or 2 replies stating NOTHING helpful

Explanation of the results and how it correlates to the bug.
I used the same animated cursor image for ALL my cursors and the way the cursor got obscured was different for most.
Meaning that there is a program or piece of software which checks the ID of the cursor, hacks into the algorithm and then injects it's own trash according to what ID the cursor has.
Whether or not accidental, is not the point.

The only and satisfiable fix to this issue.
The real solution is to break the card in two or three pieces, stomp on it a couple of times and forget all about ever having the card in the first place.
I don't know why ATI wants to suicide this way, but it's sure that they are digging a hole that fits their body perfectly.

disClosure?
Is there anything the defendants (ATI-FanBoys) would want to say?
Oh, I already know the answer: "I didn't choose ATi, it was forced upon me by the pricing."

One question remains, how do you call a bug that has been put in deliberately?
A new name for that should be made by us Geeks.

***EDIT***
Another serie of reasons why I know it's been programmed to do this:
-It ONLY happens on the MAIN monitor. NOT just where the windows startpanel is placed. This was part of the defense ATi tried to rub off on us.
-When you grab a window and slide it, the cursor is temporarily fixed untill you let go of the cursor.
-ATi says: "It's under investigation." (While they deny the existence and fight the countless spam about it for the past 5 years and counting.)
-IF it was a real bug, happening by sheer chance and unpredictable calculations, then it would HAVE to HAPPEN MULTIPLE times per sessions.
This does NOT occure and it only corrupts ONCE every computer session. Even if the session would take one trillion years, it won't happen a second time.
-When I sent a support ticket stating that there are two cursors that didn't have the bug, the very next patch one of those two was bugged.
It was the stretcher-cursor that can stretch the top-right corner and the (still not bugged) cursor that you see when you move a window.

Edited by IO-error, 17 April 2011 - 08:02 PM.

Advertisements