Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

mup.sys file missing

• Please log in to reply

jettrink918

jettrink918

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
I have an ancient Dell Dimension 8400 desktop with Windows XP 2005 Media Center Edition. Computer was fine until I restarted it and then it suddenly stopped working...when I turned the computer on it just sits at the Windows start up page and never advances...when I manually turn it off and try to restart in safe mode it shows a long list of files its loading but always stops at mup.sys...I have tried everything I can think of...I dont have a repair or recovery CD but I do have the OEM version of Windows XP which apparently is pointless...also like an idiot I have thousands of important pictures that I had yet to load to CD and losing them would be total devastation :~( Can anyone think of ANYTHING I might could do to fix this issue??? Computer repair shops are few and far between in our small town and they are outrageously overpriced on repairs...I do have minimal computer skills when it comes to accessing BIOS, etc....Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance :D

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If it is a Mup.sys error try this:

The most common cause is the executing PnP (Plug and Play) and ACPI routines issue.
To fix the issue, we need to access the computer from Recovery Console.

If you do have your Windows CD

1. To start the Recovery Console directly from the Windows XP CD you would do the following:
  • Insert the Windows XP cd in your computer.
  • Restart your computer so you are booting off of the CD.
  • When the Welcome to Setup screen appears, press the R button on your keyboard to start the Recovery Console.
  • The Recovery Console will start and ask you which Windows installation you would like to log on to. If you have multiple Windows installations, it will list each one, and you would enter the number associated with the installation you would like to work on and press enter. If you have just one Windows installation, type 1 and press enter.
  • It will then prompt you for the Administrator's password. If there is no password, simply press enter. Otherwise type in the password and then press enter.
  • If you entered the correct password you will now be presented with a C:\Windows> prompt and you can start using the Recovery Console.

2. Type map and press enter.
It will give you the drive letters.
Note down the letter of you CD-ROM.
If it is a letter other than E you should replace the letter E with your CD drive letter when applying the expand command later on if the command is needed to be applied.

Type following commmands, pressing Enter after each one.
  • ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys atapi.old
    (It will returns to the prompt again without notification)
  • copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\atapi.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers
    (If you get a notification "1 file(s) copied" you don't need to do the next expand command and go to exit command. But if you get notification that the file doesn't exist proceed with expand command)
  • expand e:\I386\atapi.sy_ c:\windows\system32\drivers
    (You should be notified that the file expanded)
  • exit

You may remove the CD or let Windows boot normally.

If you don't have your Windows CD
Please download ARCDC from Artellos.com.
  • Double click ARCDC.exe
  • Follow the dialog until you see 6 options. Please pick: Windows Professional SP2 & SP3
  • You will be prompted with a Terms of Use by Microsoft, please accept.
  • You will see a few dos screens flash by, this is normal.
  • Next you will be able to choose to add extra files. Select the Default Files.
  • The last window will allow you to burn the disk using BurnCDCC
Then, follow instructions from Step #1 above.

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
my prompt only says " C:\> " It does not include "Windows" in the prompt...also I tried to enter prompts as directed and it says the parameter is not valid...am I doing something wrong??

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
type in CD\Windows and then press Enter.
Does it now go to the windows prompt?

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
it says the command is not recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commands.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
try starting with Step 2 with the map command.
Does that give you a list of Drive letters?

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
yes it gives me a list that reads like this:

? FAT16 70MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition1
C: 147761MB \Device\Harddisk0\Partition2
E: 4754MD \Device\Harddisk0\Partition3
A: \Device\Floppy0
D: \Device\CdRom0

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK so D is your cdrom drive.
Type following commmand, pressing Enter after you are finished.

ren c:\windows\system32\drivers\atapi.sys atapi.old

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
it says Aceess is denied

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try this command.

copy c:\windows\servicepackfiles\i386\atapi.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers

Advertisements

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
again says access is denied :D

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
ok let me ask is this a full installation disk or a recovery disk for your system?

jettrink918

jettrink918

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
I'm assuming its an OEM disk(???) My room mate made a copy of the original just in case something happened and he needed a back up and I only have the copy as the original has been lost. I had someone try to help me with this issue before but it was left unresolved because they said I have an OEM version and not a repair & recovery cd

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Disregard post # 13, it will not work for your issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

I had someone try to help me with this issue before but it was left unresolved because they said I have an OEM version and not a repair & recovery cd

OK not a problem. You just need to borrow a full retail version and you will have the needed files then.
You can then do the steps I outlined and everything should work with no problem.