Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

tv set as display for laptop now cannot get display back to computer

• Please log in to reply

Barbjw

Barbjw

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I have done this successfully before. Set up tv as laptop display. Now when the laptop boots up only my background screen appears with blue lines on the side. I thought I picked clone but must have slipped and gotten another choice and now cannot hook up to any tv or monitor to get the display. How can Ichange it back --??from when it is booting up? It is an hp 9000 nvidia REally need this as is also work computer.

Advertisements

Barbjw

Barbjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Nevermind, I did it...

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
It is considered good forum etiquette to post the corrective action, so others can learn from your experiences. That's the beauty of forums.

Barbjw

Barbjw

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
oops, i also had posted on another forum and thought I had cut and paste(d) the info. sorry.
here it is:

this has been resolved. It would not hook back up to any tv that I had. I guess I had accidently chosen the configuration under the clone choice when i moved my finger off the touchpad so the display was on the "tv" which became all garbled once the settings took effect. I am not sure why the tvs back at home would not act as the display.
I used an old monitor I had and after the second time of booting up the computer again I was able to get a screen and change it back to laptop display. The first time the extra monitor said unable to view the video type. I swore, walked away for about 10 and then came back and did the same exact thing as a last ditch effort.
I still think there must be some way to do it when booting up maybe in safe mode or changing something in the bios?
Just glad I didnt have to take it somewhere and pay money I don't have.

A side note - this laptop is one of the models involved in the nvidia settlement and also has a cracked hinge. I have the shipping instructions to replace it however they are replacing it with an inferior model and I am waiting until the last possible minute to figure out if the judge has directed the settlement differently.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

A side note - this laptop is one of the models involved in the nvidia settlement and also has a cracked hinge. I have the shipping instructions to replace it however they are replacing it with an inferior model and I am waiting until the last possible minute to figure out if the judge has directed the settlement differently.

An inferior model? That would upset me too. Good luck and thanks for the followup.