Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB ports not working

• Please log in to reply

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I think I have a malware problem but I need to fix the USB ports not working first. I am working on a friends computer. I have tried to fix it myself, but no luck... It has Windows XP Pro with SP3. It takes 30 minutes or more to boot up. Will not let me get on the internet. USB ports don't work, so i have to burn every program i have tried to cd. I have tried to run OTL, it scans but when its done it will not save to notepad. I did a repair from the windows disc also, hoping this would help. But it didn't, I am lost please help.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts

I think I have a malware problem

In relation to this aspect you should go to this link and follow the advice, carefully please. Posting in that forum.

http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Alternatvely if formatting the drive and reloading windows is a possibility, then you could secure the personal data by way ONLY of documents, pictures, music etc and proceed from there..

In respect of the malware issue I can give you no advice other than to follow the link, as ONLY certfiied malware advisors are allowed to do so on this site.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello civiccrazy:

Are you logged on as Administrator? Did you check there aren't any restriction?

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
I am in this forum because I need to fix the USB problem before I can do anything else to fix the malware. I have already been talking to someone about that. I am logged in under administrator. I don't think there is any restrictions. I really don't want to reformat unless I really have to, it is not my computer. Just need to try to find out why the USB ports are not working.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I am in this forum because I need to fix the USB problem before I can do anything else to fix the malware

With respect you DO NOT, you need to ensure the computer is clean, before you attempt to address the USB issue

especially in view of this

It takes 30 minutes or more to boot up. Will not let me get on the internet

The link I sent you is your first action to take.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Actually I advised civiccrazy seek assistance with this matter here because of the extenuating circumstances. :D :D

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Dakeyras
No problem, thanks for informing me. As civiccrazy did not mention that fact in his post, I had no idea, that this was the case

civiccrazy
Sorry for the misunderstanding. You will I hope appreciate how this has occurred.
How are you attempting to connect - ethernet cable to router etc - or wireless and if wireless is that an installed card or wirless usb.
Is the computer a branded make. If so please post the make and exact model details
Would the computer connect and did the USB ports work before the repair install.

Having glanced quickly, as I am about to sign off, at the Malware thread I tend to agree totally with Dakeyras, that this is looking, very much like a format and reinstall, BUT I am not urging that action at this stage.
When you attempt to connect what is the message please.
If you go start, run and type "cmd" without the quotes
and then at the prompt type "ipconfig /all"
does that return the ip address etc or a no connection message.
This is different from actually opening a browser and attempting to connect to a site.

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
Sorry, for not informing you I was directed here.

I am attempting to connect via ethernet cable to router. The Computer is a Dell Dimension 8200. Windows Xp Pro SP3. After I did the repair it did connect to the internet because I downloaded windows updates. I do not know if the USB ports worked before, I did not use them. After the computer boots up (30-45 minutes later) there are all of the icons on the desktop but the bar at the bottom is not there. So....no start button. I will try later to do the ipconfig. Just got off work...and going to bed....

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts

Dakeyras
No problem, thanks for informing me. As civiccrazy did not mention that fact in his post, I had no idea, that this was the case

OK/Fair play. :D

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
A few more ideas:

Windows key + r type inetcpl.cpl in the runbox and press enter.

Click the Connections tab and click the LAN settings option.

See if use a proxy is checked, if so, uncheck it and click OK to exit.

See if that gets you back on the web.

Also have you tried a system restore? To See if that gets your USB ports working

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
How do I get to run other that clicking start, then run?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Key Ctrl and escape..

civiccrazy

civiccrazy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
oops....Didnt need to post this here. The usb ports work now. Thanks for all of the help.

Edited by civiccrazy, 21 April 2011 - 05:11 AM.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
No problem, I removed the posts and we shall continue in the other topic. :D