Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Black Screen and cannot get to bios

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

DHanisKid

DHanisKid

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, TIA for any assistance. I have done some reading on the other black screen threads, but have seen no resolution for my problem.

Back ground info:
PC = Home built w/Mach Speed Viper MK8-939A, AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0GHz, Ultra 1024MB PC3200 DDR 400MHz Memory (X 2), Seagate 500GB SATA HD, Logitech wireless mouse and keyboard, Norton Antivirus

My daughter reported a problem with a frozen cursor at the log in screen and thought it was a problem with the wireless mouse. She plugged in a USB mouse and restarted the PC without resolving the problem. When I came home I checked the mouse and keyboard and found no problems with the batteries. I had to hard boot the PC to get it to restart and again got to the log in screen with an unresponsive system. Decided to try starting in safe mode and was able to get to Windows. Ran Norton and it claimed to have detected and cleaned 110 tracking cookies. I restarted again and got the black screen. CTRL ALT DELETE restarted the machine and I selected a restore point from a week before. The restore seemed to run properly, but Windows now does not load and I can no longer get out of the black screen or into safe mode or bios. I cannot boot from the XP disc and I even tried unplugging the hard drive. All I get is a single beep, the DVD drive light briefly, the hard drive light briefly (steady state) and then the black screen again.

The PC was working great with no prior symptoms, no recent changes or additions. What if anything is left for me to try?

D'Kid

Advertisements

DHanisKid

DHanisKid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello? Anybody home? Is there anything left I can try? Delete, Esc, F1, F2, F8 and so on do not get me anywhere. Does this mean I have a dead mobo, video card, hard drive or ? I've cleaned, unplugged and reseated everything. Is it time to pull the hard drive and see what I can save?

Thanks for any help. I really need to fix this or move on.

Bill

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Hi it sounds like a hard drive problem - however, we can see anything on the disc if it is available and try to repair it

Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

Latest version: v3.1.46.0

OTLPEStd.exe
MD5=83A0648CCEDCB906DFC44DA275C3885C
Size = 98,078,016b / 93.5MB

• Download OTLPEStd.exe to your desktop
  • Download this scan.txt to a USB drive [attachment=49664:scan.txt]
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPEStd.exe and this will then open imgburn to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.
    Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads :)

• Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.
    Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start.
  • Double click the Custom scans and fixes box
  • In the dialogue locate the scan.txt you have on the USB
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system.
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive.
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

DHanisKid

DHanisKid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the prompt reply Essexboy. So my machine should still be able to boot from a disk even though it goes straight to the black screen? I will give it a try. Bill

DHanisKid

DHanisKid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I still cannot get it to boot from the disk. Now what?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Did you change the BIOS to first boot device = CD/DVD drive ? http://www.hiren.inf...bios-boot-cdrom

If so did you receive a prompt when you booted "Press any key to boot from CD"

DHanisKid

DHanisKid

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
How do I change the bios when I have a totally unresponsive PC? I believe the boot sequence is already CD/DVD first. The light on the CD comes on briefly and then goes out. The hard drive light comes on and the black screen appears. No combination of keys gets me to bios... It is unresponsive. Could this be due to me swapping out the wireless USB keyboard with a serial keyboard? I will try another keyboard, but I doubt that is the problem.

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
If you cannot access the BIOS that would tend to suggest a major hardware failure, possibly within the motherboard. As the OTLPE disc runs seperately from any windows installation as it is self contained within the cd

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Due to lack of feedback, this topic has been closed.

If you need this topic reopened, please contact a staff member. This applies only to the original topic starter. Everyone else please begin a New Topic.