Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Alt+Tab starts by itself

• Please log in to reply

whynot53

whynot53

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
I started with this problem in the Virus, Spyware, Malware Removal forum- http://www.geekstogo...this-virus-is/.

I have been working with SweetTech and this was his final conclusion-

I've had a chance to look into this issue a little more, and have spoken with a couple people in regards to this, and we feel that the issues you are describing are more of a Hardware issue rather than a Virus issue. Because from the look of your logs, they appear to be clean. I think your best option at this point is going to be to post in our Windows forum or Hardware forum and see what the techs have to say. They should be able to help you out with troubleshooting the issue, and try to see if they can pinpoint exactly what is causing the issues.

The symptoms are-

The Alt+Tab feature starts by itself without me pressing any keys. When it starts it acts like the Alt+Tab keys are being held down with each of the program icons in the display being selected in rapid sequence. When it is doing this I’m unable to operate or close those programs or open any other programs or windows. It pops up very randomly and sometimes I can go for days, weeks or even months between episodes. I have not been able to figure out any pattern to the episodes or anything that triggers them. The only way I have found to stop it is to reboot my computer.

The mouse right click menu will suddenly appear and sometimes the courser will dart off to another part of the screen.

Firefox will suddenly start by itself and open to my Home Page. I don’t get any strange messages or website redirects.

Microsoft Outlook Setup will suddenly start by itself. I don’t use Outlook, I use Thunderbird for email.

Sometimes the Audio Master Volume Control, when I try to move the slider to increase the volume, will just keep drifting back to zero.

I'm using Windows XP Pro with SP3

I always keep my Microsoft Updated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
This I think is going to be a little difficult.
It is for an analogy, a little like to trying to find why a car will not start - sometimes, when you are attempting to find the problem - when it will start.
It is far easier to diangose when it will NOT start.

The only suggestion I have at the moment is when this has occurred, does event viewer provide any indication at all

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Try external mouse and keyboard. Does issue happen then?

whynot53

whynot53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Macboatmaster,

It has been awhile since the last episode. I don't remember exactly when it was. I looked through the Event log and nothing jumped out at me. I will check the Event log more closely next time it happens. Any suggestions what to look for?

I know what you mean, intermittent problems can be very difficult to find. To make matters worse the episodes seem to be getting farther apart. The time between my last episode and the one before that was about 8 months.

rshaffer61,

I will try an external mouse and keyboard and let you know what happens.

Thanks a lot guys,
whynot53

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Unfortunately, no I do not have any ideas. I am not even certain that anything will show in event log.
I think the way forward is to make a careful note of what it is, that has been opened, used etc when this next occurs.
With such infrequency one might suspect a sticking key that is very seldom used, or a program that is used only very infrequently.

exceswater

exceswater

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Could be a virus. Can you try to clean reinstall your operating system ?

Only malware techs can suggest any type of malware advice

Edited by rshaffer61, 19 April 2011 - 10:18 AM.
Removed malware advice

whynot53

whynot53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
Macboatmaster, rshaffer61 & exceswater,

Can you try to clean reinstall your operating system ?

I have considered doing that. I know it's a lot of work and I run the risk of it not helping.

What do you guys think?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Have you tried the external mouse and kb step?
This may tell us if the issue is hardware.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts

I have considered doing that. I know it's a lot of work and I run the risk of it not helping.

What do you guys think?

With such a LONG period of time between the occurrence - personally I think it is at this stage a non-starter.

whynot53

whynot53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
rshaffer61 & Macboatmaster,

O.K., I'll go with the external mouse and keyboard and see what happens.

Thanks again,
whynot53

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Are you still having problems with your issue?
It has been 11 days since your last response and I was wondering if the issue has been resolved?
If so can you explain how it was resolved so others may be able to fix it if they have the same issue.
If not please let us know and we can continue with helping you to resolve the issue.

whynot53

whynot53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts
I connected the external mouse and keyboard and the problem has not reappeared as yet. As I said before it can be a long time between episodes. The period between the last two episodes was about 8 months.

Do you have any other ideas?

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If you are talking that long it could be a simple glitch that happens. I thought this was a on going issue and you couldn't use the keyboard or mouse.
If the issue was continuous then putting the external ones on would show it was the laptop kn and mouse.
Let me ask you when this happens do you reboot the system and if so does the mouse and kb start working again?

whynot53

whynot53

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 41 posts

Let me ask you when this happens do you reboot the system and if so does the mouse and kb start working again?

Yes, rebooting is the only way I have found to stop the Alt+Tab function from rapidly scrolling through the active program icons. When Alt+Tab starts (by itself with out me touching any keys) is the only time my keyboard and mouse have problems. I've found that Ctn+Alt+Del works on the keyboard but that is about all. I can move the courser with the mouse but the right click menu is disabled and most of the left click functions don't work.

After rebooting everything is back to normal.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Can you give us more info on the system. I guess it's a laptop but what make and model?