Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Delay Write Failed on new harddrive (help please!)

• Please log in to reply

lunareve

lunareve

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey guys, I have a little problem here and was wondering if you could help.

i recently got a new hitachi 2TB internal harddrive for purpose of backing up all the data on my 3 other harddrives. so i formatted and installed the new harddrive ok, and all the data transfer was going smoothly, until all the sudden the computer froze and a "Delay Write Failed" warning sign came up. i then restarted the computer in panic, but all the data previously transfered seemed ok and no abnormalities were present on the computer itself. so i was happy and thought it was just a one time thing, and continued with the data transfer. its then i realized that whenever i tried to transfer a file larger than 300mb it crashes my system and gives a "Delay Write Failed" error and the file is lost on the new harddrive. i still have full access to all the files previously transfered onto this harddrive and no other abnormalities with running this harddrive either, so it seems just that i can't transfer large files to this harddrive anymore....

i tried searching for fixes on google but so far can't find anything similar to my case...anyone help please? must appreciated :D

Advertisements

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
Have you looked here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

I had a similar issue a long time ago, in an old XP system, and I found my answer there.

Tread carefully if you make changes to your registry as it says toward the end of that article, please be safe and back it up first.
Use ERUNT to back up that key before making changes to your registry, or export the key first to a .reg file.

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
Have you seen this MS KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

ahh I was beat by the upperclass. Nice Job :D

Edited by gorham, 19 April 2011 - 11:52 AM.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

Have you seen this MS KB article?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330174

ahh I was beat by the upperclass. Nice Job :D

I hope that solves it, no matter who types faster. :D

lunareve

lunareve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
tried the fixes mentioned on that article still not working :D
do you know any good harddrive checking softwares? im going to see if its harddisk physical problem

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
here you go:

https://www1.hitachi.../dft/dftnew.htm

That's Hitachi Drive Fitness Test

lunareve

lunareve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
so listen to this. i was pretty sure the problem was somehow linked to a bad format, so i reformated this harddrive and the problem went away. thinking that i fixed the problem, i continued to move data from my other harddrives to this new one, until suddenly the stupid delay write failure issue poped up again. i realize that this problem occured exactly at 1TB free mark (my total is 2TB free) exactly like the last time. as for the hardrive fitness test i cant even run it as it keeps giving me an error before i can even start the program on the computer.

so at this point im thinking it's a hardware issue not a software one. anybody got any suggestions before i give up on it? and i got no freaking warranty on this thing as i got it on sale for like 50 bucks T_T

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
It sounds like the some of the platters or heads are bad. Sorry I have no other suggestions. Maybe someone else here does

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts
From searching around, I see this is a tough problem to fix.

Look at this setting and see if this longshot might help -
Go to Device Manager, open up Disk Drives, find your Hitachi drive and right click it. Click Properties, then Click the Policies tab.
Under Write Caching and Safe Removal, select Optimize for quick removal, if it lets you. That would not cache, but I am not sure if this will work on an SATA or IDE internal drive.
Just looked at a few computer at work, my workstation had a Raid setup so I don't have this option, but a non raid computer has an additional option, Enable Write Caching on the Disk. That one may help you out. Write down the original settings before you change them, so you can go back if necessary.

Of course you could be right about being the drive itself, but I think that error is all about the cache and not the hardware.

Also, does your power supply have enough power for this drive?

lunareve

lunareve

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
ok so i got another harddrive (western digital 1tb) and tried it on my computer and this time no problems at all. now im still not sure if the problem is just because my computer wont recognize anything beyond 1tb or was it a problem on that harddrive itself, but all i care about is that i dont get anymore delay write failures anymore :) but just for a last thought, is it even possible that a computer would recognize only the first TB on a 2TB harddrive?

and btw are western digital products better than hitachi in general? i read alot of reviews that suggests it

Edited by lunareve, 03 May 2011 - 10:57 AM.