Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't identify wire

• Please log in to reply

Vipervire

Vipervire

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I want to know what this wire is and if it is necessary to use my Ethernet card.
Posted Image

Edited by Vipervire, 19 April 2011 - 05:53 PM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
We would need more info such as make and model number of the card.

Vipervire

Vipervire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Where would I find those exactly?

Edited by Vipervire, 19 April 2011 - 03:16 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
That looks like a daughter board - not common in PCs, assuming that's the motherboard in the foreground. What is the make and model of the computer and where does the other end of that wire go?

To answer your other question, typically there are no wires inside the computer that are used for or with the Ethernet card. The card plugs into a slot on the motherboard, normally a PCI slot, and the Ethernet cable is connected to the exterior side of the card, then out to some network device.

Vipervire

Vipervire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
The computer is a Compaq Deskpro En 6300. Here is a different perspective.
Posted Image

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Now one more image of the exterior of the case that is to the left of the image above. My guess right now is that is an audio cable, perhaps for a CD player.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
I would be curious to see what the outside of the case looks like for the board (what type of connections).

The HP site referenced AGP slots and pci so it is an older computer and might just be a old sound card.

Vipervire

Vipervire

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I added another photo. Sorry for the quality. My camera's auto focus is kind of screwed up.
Posted Image

Edited by Vipervire, 19 April 2011 - 05:55 PM.

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
I don't know what that wire is. If me, I would either leave it, or if curiosity took the best of me, unplug it and see what breaks. If it is needed, I don't see it hurting anything if you unplug it for a test. I would not unplug it while it is running, however. Shut it down and unplug from the wall first.