Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cannot turn on automatic updates

• Please log in to reply

griruco

griruco

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
cannot turn on security updates from windows security or through system/automatic updates. How can I do this or do I have a more serious problem. I just got rid of a nasty virus.
Thank you.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi griruco
What version of XP do you have (XP SP3?).
What have you done so far to try and get to updates.

Thank You

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

I just got rid of a nasty virus.

If you have not been to our malware forum to be checked then I suggest doing so. You may still have a virus that is interfering.

I suggest you go to the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal Forum and run all the steps located in the START HERE. These self-help tools will help you clean up 70% of problems on your own. If you are still having problems after doing the steps, then please post the reguested logs in THAT forum. If you are unable to run any of the tools then start a new topic in the malware forum and put this in the subject line...I am unable to run any malware tools

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).

Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

griruco

griruco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
XP pro 2002 service pack 3. I went to windows website and also tried to turn on automatic updates.Thank you!

griruco

griruco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Essex boy helped me rid the virus through the malware forum. I believe that I got a clean bill of health, but I could re-open that thread to verify. What do you suggest? Thank you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Launch a Command Prompt...click on start...run...type in cmd...press enter

type in and press enter after each command

net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\wups2.dll
net start wuauserv

That stops the Windows update service, registers the file with Windows, and restarts the service....

nojoy...you can download and install a small utility called the Windows Update Agent here get the For an x86-based computer...
Depending on how long this problem has been going on, you may have quite a flood of new updates to install once you've fixed it. Go to www.windowsupdate.com, click Custom Install, and accept all of the critical and security updates.

griruco

griruco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
OK, when I run each command I get:
1)The specified service does not exist as an installed service
2)succeeded
3)the service name is invalid

I downloaded update agent.

When going to "custom" install, I get a message that the website encountered a problem and cannot display the page I am trying to view. I received this message previously.
I can't get windows updates.
Thank you

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try this to Remove and Reinstall of Automatic Updates (Not Vista or Windows 7)

This batch file actually removes and reinstalls the Automatic Update system.

What does it do?
The file stops the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and the Automatic Update service, then removes the Automatic Update system, the logs and downloaded software files. It then reinstalls the automatic update system, starts the services and then removes the cookies for the automatic updates system and force it to look for changes.

Copy the text below in between the lines to a new notepad document and save it as aureinstall.cmd. Double click on the file to run it.
------------------------------------below this line
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 /u wuaueng.dll /s
del /f /s /q %windir%\SoftwareDistribution\*.*
del /f /s /q %windir%\windowsupdate.log
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s
net start bits
net start wuauserv
wuauclt.exe /resetauthorization /detectnow

------------------------------------above this line

The most common reason why these scripts do not work is that to save a file as a cmd file, you need to change the setting in the Save as box to All File Types. You can then enter the full file name. Otherwise Windows will save it as "reset.cmd.txt" which will not do anything but open notepad.

griruco

griruco

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Thank you, that worked. I appreciate the clear explanation.Thanks again and have a great day!
Griruco

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :)

Advertisements

JKDThunder

JKDThunder

• Pip
  • 2 posts

try this to Remove and Reinstall of Automatic Updates (Not Vista or Windows 7)

This batch file actually removes and reinstalls the Automatic Update system.

What does it do?
The file stops the "Background Intelligent Transfer Service" and the Automatic Update service, then removes the Automatic Update system, the logs and downloaded software files. It then reinstalls the automatic update system, starts the services and then removes the cookies for the automatic updates system and force it to look for changes.

Copy the text below in between the lines to a new notepad document and save it as aureinstall.cmd. Double click on the file to run it.
net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s
net start bits
net start wuauserv

The most common reason why these scripts do not work is that to save a file as a cmd file, you need to change the setting in the Save as box to All File Types. You can then enter the full file name. Otherwise Windows will save it as "reset.cmd.txt" which will not do anything but open notepad.

JKDThunder

JKDThunder

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HappyRock, you are a total genius, I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix this, i've tried every suggestion different sites have suggested. I just joined this forum just to say thank you.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your welcome... :thumbsup:

Hi JKDThunder ... :wave: ..:welcome:

Amlak

Amlak

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

HappyRock, you are a total genius, I've been pulling my hair out trying to fix this, i've tried every suggestion different sites have suggested. I just joined this forum just to say thank you.

I bet you were browsing through the Microsoft forums or something. They are rarely useful there.

Replies from the staff often always involves random and irrelevant links to Microsoft pages that have barely anything to do with the issue itself. And then when you tell them it didn't fix the problem, they reply again with the same links. :lol:

Oh, yeah, and then they add Microsoft MVP yada yada as their signature. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Amlak, 15 May 2012 - 05:19 PM.

TT90

TT90

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi there,

Apologise if I've posted this in the wrong section but I'm having the exact same problem but am using Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit OS.

I take that the script from the above post from happyrock is not suitable for windows 7?

net stop bits
net stop wuauserv
regsvr32 wuaueng.dll /s
net start bits
net start wuauserv

- does anyone know if there is a similar script available or if this can be modified to fix this issue on Win7?

Many thanks.