Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internet Connection Problems Etc

• Please log in to reply

chantal7

chantal7

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
Hello!

I am posting on behalf of my father's computer, which is right next to mine.

Specs:

Windows xp (sp2)
Celeron® CPU 2.40GHz
2.39 GHz, 1.18GB of RAM

Problem: I think it has some nasty viruses, or something! At first we were unable to connect to a few select websites, such as Microsoft update website and any other site... it was somewhat random (it would let me go onto some websites like google and other websites). It would not let me update MSE OR Malwarebytes to do any scans on the computer (error was that the internet connection was interrupted, yet I can still go onto some other websites). It is now running without an Anti-virus. I have tried to start the computer in safe mode, I could try it again if there's another way, but it gave me some weird screen that had nothing to do with safe mode. I'd have to try it again to remember what it was. I'm not even sure where to start because there are so many things wrong with it. I don't expect to have them all fixed, just to have my dad get back in the internet without all these silly viruses! The computer is now down to the point where you cannot access the internet. And I know that the internet works fine because I am connected to the same one.

Edited by chantal7, 19 April 2011 - 09:07 PM.

Advertisements

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi chantel7
I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum ->> (http://www.geekstogo...emoval-f37.html)<<-. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.
If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here.

Thank You

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
your getting infected because you can no longer get any updates until you install SP 3...
AFTER your cleaned up in the malware forum install SP3...if you try installing it while your still infected it will bork up your system...so wait until your told your system is clean

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Ah. Thanks guys for the comments and your time. My dad took his computer down to the computer techs before I had a chance to try to fix it. But now I know where to go if something like this ever happens again. Thanks a lot and I'm sorry I wasted your time with this!

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
thanks for letting us know...

noknojon

noknojon

• PipPipPip
  • 533 posts
Hi chantal7
I do not know how much the computer techs charged, but here all our services are always Free .

Thank You

chantal7

chantal7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
I know they are free and I appreciate that. Maybe some day I could offer free services to someone. My father just beat me to the punch before I could do anything. It was worth a try right?