Free help from tech experts
Welcome to Geeks to Go forums. Create a FREE account now to gain access to all our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing topics, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. Best of all, registration and all assistance is 100% free! This message, and all ads will be removed once you sign in.
Create an Account Login to Account

Uninstalling Mcafee Problems

• Please log in to reply

Tez1

Tez1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,

My subscription to Mcafee ended so I am trying to remove it and install a different virus scanner.

I browsed the forum and saw instructions on a similar problem posted a while back where the user had trouble uninstalling McaFee. I followed the instructions of Add/Remove, but I did it twice because for some reason it didn't go away the first time. The second time through the program folder was deleted. However, when I checked in msconfig there was still remnants of McaFee in the services section (McShield, McaFee Firewall Core Service, McaFee Validation Trust Protection Service). I could turn them off except the validation trust protection service. I decided to create a system restore point before I downloaded and used the Mcafee removal tool. After it finishes it would reboot and that is when my comp would not even load up so I would have to go into safe mode and restore. Before restoring it says what would be changed or added and the only thing listed is the Mcafee driver.

I downloaded the Window Installer Cleanup Utility program and tried it but McaFee was not listed.

Thanks for any assistance given.

Similar Topics: Uninstalling Mcafee Problems     x

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi Tez1: :D

The free AppRemover utility enables thorough uninstall of security applications like antivirus and antispyware from computer

Tez1

Tez1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Thanks for the reply.

I ran the program, but the same problem occurs. I would go through task manager and see the Mcafee Validation Trust Protection Service still running in the service tab. I cannot locate the folders or processes for it. I decided to google around that term and other people seem to have the same problem. but I couldnt find a definitive solution. Mcafee is such a pain to remove!

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi Tez1:

Could you please give us the exact version of McAfee, do you still have the installer (McAfee) available?

Tez1

Tez1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,

I had to restore my computer to before I used the AppRemover to get the main components back of Mcafee to check the version.

File Version: 10.5.177.0
Product Name: Mcafee Security Center
Product Version: 10.5.0.0

I do not have the installer as the program came with the computer when I bought it a couple months ago.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hello Tez1:

Sorry to know that you had problem with AppRemover, it's an acclaimed product, anyway please read and follow McAfee Document ID: TS100507

Tez1

Tez1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,

I don't think its the AppRemover program I think Mcafee is just being a pain! The link you posted was what I originally did before coming here. I even used the Mcafee technical support, but the technician didn't really offer much help during our one-on-one chat. In Step 2 in the link you use the MCPR program. The program seems to work as it says it successfully removed Mcafee, but just needs a reboot to finish things up. My computer never could load back up after and I have to go into safe mode to system restore.

From what is listed during the system restore I would guess the main problem causing my computer to not load up is:

Mcafee, Inc (Net Service) 07/01/2009 14.2.0.611 Driver

Tez1

Tez1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,

I tried using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of everything. It had the same result of having some traces of Mcafee still on my computer. I started browsing around and found maybe a portion of what it couldn't get rid of

Common Files -> Mcafee -> systemcore

I looked at the files and one of them was the Mcafee Process Validation Service. I tried to manually delete the folder, but it wouldn't allow me saying it was in use.

Edited by Tez1, 21 April 2011 - 05:54 AM.

ADarkMind

ADarkMind

• Pip
  • 9 posts
I've had similar problems with other software. Here's a fix that should work.

Download and install CCleaner here : CCleaner
It's free and it has regular upgrades, easy to use program.

Click on the tools button and uninstall. Verify that McAfee is not still listed in the programs list, if it is, run the uninstall through CCleaner. If it's not showing, go to the cleaner, run it,

Now you can go into program files and should be able to delete the folder with no problems. If you can't, then you need to right click on the folder to see properties to modify the properties of that folder. Some programs like McAfee and Norton don't like their programs being uninstalled, so they find ways to keep tidbits on the computer to annoy people, IMO.

Anyways, that should allow you to delete the folder and get rid of the files... you may have to delete the file inside first and then the folder, but you should be good to go

Edited by rshaffer61, 21 April 2011 - 02:49 PM.
Removed registry cleaner advice.

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,821 posts

Hey,

I tried using Revo Uninstaller to get rid of everything. It had the same result of having some traces of Mcafee still on my computer. I started browsing around and found maybe a portion of what it couldn't get rid of

Common Files -> Mcafee -> systemcore

I looked at the files and one of them was the Mcafee Process Validation Service. I tried to manually delete the folder, but it wouldn't allow me saying it was in use.

Hello Tez1

Please go to this McAfee support page. It will tell you exactly how to remove McAfee products and all remnants.

Tez1

Tez1

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hey,

I was finally able to get rid of everything. Here's what I did I went into safe mode to delete the Mcafee folder under Common Files that was being protected and then ran the CCleaner to clean the registry.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Edited by Tez1, 22 April 2011 - 05:30 AM.

Rediah

Rediah

• PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
Hi Tez1:

Glad to know that you found a workaround, we appreciate your sharing this information

ADarkMind

ADarkMind

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Hey,

I was finally able to get rid of everything. Here's what I did I went into safe mode to delete the Mcafee folder under Common Files that was being protected and then ran the CCleaner to clean the registry.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Smart thinking going into safe mode. Glad the CCleaner helped you out, i use it all the time with uninstalling and keeping the cache and temp files cleaned out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

As Featured On:

featured