Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

What security software is good to use for a netbook?

• Please log in to reply

mean12

mean12

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a 30 day Norton with my netbook and have used Norton for a long time as a trusted source.

Any other ones I should consider for such a small computer that won't take up a lot of room?

Advertisements

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

I have a 30 day Norton with my netbook and have used Norton for a long time as a trusted source.

Any other ones I should consider for such a small computer that won't take up a lot of room?

See this post Free Antivirus and Antispyware Software Includes screenshots and recommendations.
They all have a small footprint and are light on system resources. Norton in a system resource hog.

Be sure to uninstall Norton in the Add/Remove Programs page of XP's Control Panel or the Programs->Uninstall a Program item in the Vista/Windows 7 Controp Panel and use the Norton removal tool to get rid of all traces of Norton before installing another AV

godawgs

godawgs

Teacher

• Retired Staff
  • 8,228 posts

I have this Acer Aspire One notebook, and I used to set it in hibernate state and put it in my bag.
I do this so I can have a quick start-up (I used every free moments to continue my work so it's pretty unpredictable and I want my netbook to be ready for it).
Is it okay for the battery or it will shorten the lifespan?

Sorry, didn't see that both posts were from you. Anyway, I have read that you should let your battery almost completely discharge frequently, the article actually said once a day, to lengthen the lifespan of the battery. Supposedly frequent charging will help the battery take a charge longer than infrequent charging.

Crowbar

Crowbar

Teacher

• GeekU Moderator
  • 4,798 posts

I put AVG on a friends netbook and it was too resource heavy, slowed the computer way down. We removed that and went with Microsoft Security Essential and that worked much better.

iAmXquisite

iAmXquisite

• PipPip
  • 90 posts
Yeah Microsoft Security Essential is the way to go if your not trying to spend some money and its pretty safe.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts

... I used to set it in hibernate state and put it in my bag.

Hibernate is not all the way off.

If it's not off, it's generating heat ... and you have it enclosed in a bag?

Sure hope it's smart enough to shut itself off when it overheats.

devper94

devper94

• PipPipPip
  • 817 posts
Hibernate mode actually turns the computer completely off if hybrid sleep is not set to On.

Back to our original topic, I like Avira the most. It has a free version and a paid version, and is really fast.
Windows Firewall should be enough to protect your computer.