Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

xp crashed, so installed win7 now ie favs are gone

• Please log in to reply

ruger22.com

ruger22.com

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I was running xp pro on my desktop (dell xps) when my system crashed to a blinking curser. the only way to get it back was to install win 7 (had a disk laying around) and now it is up and running. of course a lot of programs are no longer working, all the icons are gone, and programs like pagemaker had to be reinstalled...no problem....but I had some very valuable links in my IE favs list while running xp, and of course they are gone now too. anybody body know where I can find them, and get them reinstalled?????

Advertisements

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I'm assuming you did an upgrade and not a reformat? IE favorites are kept in

C:\Documents and Settings\your username\Favorites

Edited by gorham, 20 April 2011 - 12:03 PM.

ruger22.com

ruger22.com

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
i did a new install of win 7......not a reformat...but that folder does not exist. if you do a new install of win 7 does it save your old favorites info anywhere?

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
I'm not sure if it would save them anywhere. I know if you do an upgrade your files would be C:\Windows.old

The only thing I would be able to tell you is to try to run a recovery program on the hdd. Something like recuva or power data recovery both which are free, and see if you can find your favorites folder.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

My advice is to restore the favourites from a backup. Because you do have a backup right?

As gorham has said, if they are not hidden away in the Windows.old folder then they are gone for good, data recovery software may get them back but you would really be clutching at straws here.

Cheers

ruger22.com

ruger22.com

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
ok...I DID find my favorites links in the windows.old folder. now...any idea where the favorits likes in IE are stored in my new IE in my new Win 7???? if I know this I can simply copy and paste them over.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Start > User Name > Favorites

Glad you found them. :D

ruger22.com

ruger22.com

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
thanks all......did a properties on a current favorite to find the location....then copy and pasted all my favorites from the windows.old to the current favorites folder....thanks to the geeks!

gorham

gorham

• PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
good deal :)