Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there a software based mirror raid solution for windows xp

• Please log in to reply

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
I have a hard time beliving that something as simple as making a mirrored volume cannot be done on windows XP with the disk management. so microsoft hates home users being able to do fun stuff i get it. but i have a really hard time beliving that noone has made a software solution that bypasses this. so i am asking is there any sort of simple mirrored raid utility that i can use in windows xp with a simple port multiplier enclosure??

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
to have ANY flavor of RAID you need a minimum of 2 identical hard drives and the MOBO and the bios has to support RAID...and I can tell you from personal experience using any flavor is a PITA at the best of times and a huge time suck when its having issues...which is quite often...I will never again use or support anybody using RAID...

you may find what your looking for here...its down towards the bottom of the page..

what is it your trying to accomplish...

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
actually i was refering to virtual raid using dynamic disks since xp doesent support this i was wondering if there was a driver of front end program that adds this capability. and raid 1 is actually quite passive an if it has issues you can simply break the set to get your data back. i just want this for redundancy on my tv/movies drive

i allready have the enclosure and the required drives i just dont want to spend money on the express card with special firmware if this can be done at the driver level with softare.

Edited by mikeloeven, 22 April 2011 - 09:15 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
look here...its for XP

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
..... xp doesent nativly support raid 1 :D

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
good luck in your quest... :D

mikeloeven

mikeloeven

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 305 posts
well since my server is just a laptop with a missing lcd that still workes so i kinda repurposed it i guess i can just buy a 30 dollar express card and hardware raid it