Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

went from XP to Windows 7 - now I have no sound

• Please log in to reply

mosdef

mosdef

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
hello
recently my computer had a virus so the computer was wiped clean. i was on XP however the person who fixed my computer loaded Windows 7.

I now notice I have no sound on my computer. Not even when i power on. I tripple checked and I know the speakers are all hooked up correctly. When I plug in the speaker to the back I got a notice from Realtek HD Audio Manager notifying me.

my guess is something to do with the driver? I've tried googling the solution for hours to no avail.

please help!

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hello,

What computer is this? Custom build? Laptop? Make/Model?

Can you please inspect device manager and report any errors (like question marks or exclamation marks next to devices).

Cheers

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i was on XP however the person who fixed my computer loaded Windows 7.

Foolish move without knowing if there are Win7 drivers for your system.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Now now Ron. :D We shall get it sorted in the end old chap.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

i was on XP however the person who fixed my computer loaded Windows 7.

Direct from first post.
Is there a physical disk for win7?
What reg key was used to install it?
Where did the person that loaded the Win7 get the disk from?
Is the Win7 installed on another system with the same reg key?

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
this is a PC
it says "32 bit operating system"

i went to device manager and i do not see any ? or !.

rshaffer61 - I can't answer those questions as I didnt load Windows 7. the computer was just given back to me with no sound. the only reason i even suspected it was a sound driver issue is because i googled it

I did try to uninstall the current Realtek HD audio manager, then reboot and reinstall another driver that I had downloaded for Win7, but i think i screwed that up and now there are no drivers

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
OK if this was me I would take it back to the person who fixed it for you. Because now you have two problems, 1) Sound not working, and 2) Potentially illegal copy of Windows 7.

Do you have an invoice for this repair? Is Windows 7 listed on the invoice? Or was it done as a "favour" from a friend?

Hectorxzx

Hectorxzx

• Pip
  • 4 posts
What type of computer is it???

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
yikes, maybe it is a bootleg copy? lets hope not. it was a cash deal. i just dropped my computer off at his shop and picked it up the next day.

hector - its a desktop computer

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Per Troy post 7:

Do you have an invoice for this repair? Is Windows 7 listed on the invoice? Or was it done as a "favour" from a friend?

Advertisements

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Yep definitely take it back and ask him what is up. "Cash deal" or not, you still paid for the work to be done and expect it to be done properly. If he hasn't put a legit copy of Windows 7 on there then he can put the copy of XP back on instead (assuming it was legit of course).

In the very least he should get the sound working properly and the OS properly licensed, no matter what the OS is in the end.

ZEUS_GB

ZEUS_GB

There's no school like old school!

• Retired Staff
  • 1,668 posts
It might just be as simple as the sound driver/Microsoft UAA but you should definitely go back to the shop. If you've paid for it then it should be done correctly the first time.

As for the installing of Windows 7, the shop shouldn't have installed a different version of Windows without asking you first and should have given you a retail boxed version of Windows 7 when you picked up your PC.

mosdef

mosdef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
i think i may want to start from scratch. i seem to like Windows XP more then this new Windows 7 that i'm currently using.

If i get a new PC built from scratch, could you guys make some recommendations as to what specifications i need to have the most optimal running PC, in terms of things like RAM, Processor, System type, etc, etc

That way I can take it to the store and say "here, this is the computer I want"

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
We can recommend some parts no worries. But first I need you to define "the most optimal running PC". This differs for everyone as people have different uses for computers.

What do you use the computer for, give me specific programs/games if necessary as well as general usage. This will give us an idea of hardware to recommend. Also consider a budget so we know not to go overboard - or we could recommend a step up for example.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

If i get a new PC built from scratch, could you guys make some recommendations as to what specifications i need to have the most optimal running PC, in terms of things like RAM, Processor, System type, etc, etc

Please understand that using a out dated OS can mean that there will be no drivers for your system. Just a little FYI to think about.