Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Lost Run Registry Settings - XP

• Please log in to reply

Sunnyp

Sunnyp

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, there are few things going on on my computer that I tried to fix and in the process lost some registry settings. Can you please help me restore them.
First my local user profile was always getting corrupted. So when I login it gives me a new profile. After restart it give me back my old profile. Also on startup there are about 10 programs that run and my avast AV is one of them (I switched from AVG to avast recently). But avast was loading last and I wanted to load it first. I tried to tackle both the issue at the same time and I guess that is where the problem arose.

Here is the sequence of events that happened.
1. I login and it said that my local profile could not be loaded and logged me in with a basic profile.
2. I googled the issue and found that installing the "User Profile Hive Cleanup" service would take care of this issue. So I installed it.
3. While still logged in as the basic profile, I opened up the Registry and moved all the Keys, except the avast program from the HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run to HK_CURRENT_USER/...Run folder. I figured this will load avast first and then load the other programs. The other programs where something like Adobe speed launcher, iTunesHelper, Logitec Mouse software etc.
4. Logged out, rebooted and logged back in and it logged me into my old profile. Avast ran as expected but nothing else ran. I opened the registry and looked in HK_CURRENT_USER/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run folder and there was nothing in it. That's when I realized that all the keys that I moved are under the basic profile user.
Now every time I login, it takes me to my old (good) profile and so, other than avast, nothing else loads.
How can I see what is in the Run Key of the basic profile users registry. I would like to copy them to my current profile.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

I opened up the Registry and moved all the Keys, except the avast program from the HK_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Run to HK_CURRENT_USER/...Run folder. I figured this will load avast first and then load the other programs

that was a big mistake...if your not a expert then you should not be doing anything in the registry

you can try system restore...go back about a week prior to your tinkering in the registry...
if that doesn't fix it you may have to reinstall the programs that are missing
and also do a repair...
for the how to repair your operating system guides...
go here...