Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Drive full up, not malware caused

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
It has been 6 months since you last replied but you say it was never resolved. I would have no way of knowing that since you never responded to my last post until now. Again I stand by my last post where I suggested a hidden infection

Advertisements

emufix

emufix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
I suppect something like that as well. But the bloatware comes and goes. It shouldn't be that difficult to see what files were created or modified in the last day or so. Lastest tigger was a windows update. Don't know why window insists on installing unpdates on to a hard drive with 13 mbs of free space. Anyway, at least I know what time the three failed window updates occurred because it has left files on my D Drive recovery partition on the hardrive.

I get low memory messages when I've been working my laptop hard for a while multitasking. Window could be creating temp memory files on the hard drive.

Here is how I've been coping for the last six months. When hard drive free space get low, I'll restart the computer and then restart it again to give myself a bit of hard drive freespace. Sometimes I clear the system restores points and create a single new one. Recently I've also been using CCleaner to clear the Hard Drive freespace and get rid of some of the space taken by youtube videos etc. I've been doing ok until last night. Hard Drive free space has been going down, then I clear it at a predictable pace. Last night was the return of bloatware, hard drive free space filling as quickly as you can clear it, nothing will run because you have no space etc. Who knows what the problem is. It was never established first time around.

So where to from here? Looks like this is the active thread to deal with the issue.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
If the system is indeed infected then we need to deal with that first and for most. Lets make sure if there is a infection causing this or not.I would suggest the simplest resolution is to purchase a larger capacity hard drive and replace your current one but first I suggest you read the 'Start Here' topic found HERE. With these self-help tools you have a high chance of fixing the problems on your own. If you are still having problems after following Step 3 of the guide, continue with Step 4 and 5 and post in the Malware Forum. If you are unable to run any programs, Please create a topic stating what you have tried so far and that you are unable to run any programs. Also, Please do NOT post the logs in this thread.

If you are still having issues after the malware expert gives you a clean bill of health, Please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).
Add a link to this topic so that malware tech can see what steps have been taken here

emufix

emufix

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 90 posts
Hi rshaffer61,

As you'll see from the beginning of this forum this enquiry started in the malware forum. It got the all clear and I was directed here. Feels and bit circular but I can see why I should check to see if my system has been infected with anything again. I've always found the malware forum most helpful. It should be noted that an infected system wasn't the cause of the original problem.

I can't buy a new Hard Drive (beside the fact I have no money). My system is a laptop. So no room for an extra hard drive. No ability for me to transfer data from the hard drive I have to a new internal Hard Drive. Yes, it would be nice to have an external Hard Drive to chuck everything onto. It would be nice to buy a desktop comuputer too. My circumstance don't currently allow it.

Anyway, off to revent the wheel, again.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
The transfer of the hard drive can be accomplished using a external hd enclosure. You would need some like Ghost or a disk imaging program to image over everything.
I understand your hesitation and the fact that you keep losing data and it is not due to you purposely adding programs, data or anything else then we need to look at the possibility of a hidden infection.
That being said the next course of action is to get rid of everything or do a simple format and reinstall of the OS to bring the system back to factory new condition.
Another possible reason is a failing hard drive which would mean the steady loss of usable free space.