Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Memory Issue

• Please log in to reply

ADarkMind

ADarkMind

• Pip
  • 9 posts
ok, this feels like a stupid question, but i've done it before and it worked so i'm not getting why i'm having this problem.

The memory works, no errors, no problems. I bought a new chip that runs fine by itself, but it will not work with either of the other 2 chips i already have.

I have 2 256 mb pc3200 400mHz chips

I was going to upgrade one chip to a 512 also pc3200 400mHz

They're both DDR, CL3

But i put the 512 in with either of the 256 chips and it doesn't work. By itself, it works fine. The other two chips work fine as long as they aren't in the mb with the 512. I have 2 slots and trying to upgrade my memory cause we all know that 512 is bad and definitely not enough for even some everyday users who run anything flash based on their computer.

So what is the problem? All chips are non eec, non registered... so i don't know what i'm supposed to do

I did go into the bios and checked and noticed that it's running dual on the memory mode.. so does that mean i have to have 2 sticks that are the same for them to work or is there something else going on that i'm just not catching?

Advertisements

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
Not knowing what is your motherboard model i cannot verify 100% but some boards only work in pairs or single, so you may have one of these board.

so you may only have the options of 1 stick x ram or 2 x ram and finally 4 x ram but not the 3 x ram.

Verify in the board manual what are the combinations possible for your ram

Hope that helps

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
The stupid question is the one not asked.

There could be many reasons for this.

What does your motherboard support? If pretty old, it may not support more than 512Mb. If really old, it may need to be restrapped or have a jumper moved. What is the make and model of your motherboard? Does it have the latest BIOS update, which may provide for more RAM or larger modules?

Sometimes, RAM modules are fickle and test perfectly fine, work great individually, but won't play well with other modules - a solid argument still today for buying all identical.

Typically, for dual memory architecture to work, you need identical modules. But also typical is what happens when the system does not find identical modules, it simply and automatically reverts to single mode. That's the typical process but, without knowing your make and model, I cannot download the manual from the motherboard maker's site and see if yours is typical. So I can only surmise. Note your RAM capacities and compatible configurations are typically in the manual too.

By the way, to before the habit gets too hard to break, "chips" is the wrong terminology here. You are dealing with 256 and 512Mb "memory modules" or often called "sticks". A "chip" is a nickname for an "integrated circuit" manufactured as a single device, an "IC" device. And memory modules consist of several devices including a circuit boards, with 8 or 16 "chips" mounted on them. The CPU is a "chip" too. To make it more confusing, those particular type of "chips" used for memory on memory modules are also called memory modules. So you have memory modules mounted on memory modules. But you don't have chips mounted on chips! :D

Edit add: Sorry had an interruption in my typing and Alzeimer got in there with much of what I said. Oh well, worth repeating.

ADarkMind

ADarkMind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Ok, a few answers to the questions.

1) Motherboard holds up to 2 1 gig memory
2) All chips are pc3200, one is a 512, the other two are 256

This is what dell says about my memory capacity and whatnot :

Memory

Type

333- and 400-MHz DDR SDRAM

NOTE: DDR 333 and DDR 400 memory runs at 266 MHz when configured with Celeron 400 MHz FSB processors

NOTE: DDR 333 memory runs at 320MHz when configured with Pentium 4 800 MHz FSB processors

Memory connectors

two

Memory capacities

128-, 256-, 512-, or 1-GB nonECC

Minimum memory

128 MB

NOTE: Between 1 and 64 MB of system memory may be allocated to support graphics, depending on system memory size and other factors.

Maximum memory

2 GB

BIOS address

F0000h

And it took me forever to figure out how to see exactly what motherboard i have, but i did manage to find it.

System Board
Manufacturer : Dell
Product : 0TC666
Chipset : Intel i865G/GV
Southbridge : Intel 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R)

Though on this thing it says the mb can support up to 4 gigs of memory. Now i'm confused, i'd always been told 2 gigs max, though i'm still trying to get to 1 gig

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP
Well, sadly, it seems with that motherboard information, all I can determine is that it may be a Dell Dimension 3000 and that others have had the same problems as you - with the apparently only solution being to toss the old sticks and install two new and matched 512Mb.

PcTestCard

PcTestCard

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
RAM brand compatibility issue could be the problem.

Try install the RAMs on different RAM slots.
Try use 1 old RAM and 1 new RAM, then add the other old ram and see if this works.

Sometimes CL3 and CL2 Rams may have the problem working with each other.

Hope this helps!
Bill
www.PcTestCard.com

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

Try use 1 old RAM and 1 new RAM, then add the other old ram and see if this works.

As noted in his opening post,

But i put the 512 in with either of the 256 chips and it doesn't work. By itself, it works fine. The other two chips work fine as long as they aren't in the mb with the 512.

So it appears he has tried every combination.

ADarkMind

ADarkMind

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I'm a she, btw.. lol

Yes, it's an old Dell Dimension 3000 and i heard back officially from tech support that it IS a dual channel deal so that both sticks have to be the same size. So i'm buying another 512 this week to resolve the issue. I'll save the other sticks for possible use in one of the 3 computers i'm rebuilding, since i've still gotta run diagnostics on them all, i'll venture at least one can hold pc3200 256 ram modules, or i'll end up upgrading the mother board in one that will accept them, since i have friends that need computers and i can get the parts fairly cheap

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,997 posts
  • MVP

I'm a she, btw.. lol

:unsure: Sorry about that.

i heard back officially from tech support that it IS a dual channel deal so that both sticks have to be the same size.

Yes, but again, that is to ensure dual-channel is enabled. If not identical, both sticks "should" (in theory - and according the "standards") still work, just not in dual-channel mode. Of course, Dell has a history of ignoring standards and going proprietary :) so I am not making promises.