Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help

• Please log in to reply

piddy352

piddy352

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Can someone please give me some advice? My hard drive recently crashed before I made a backup. All my newborns pictures are on the drive and I need to try anything to get them off. I sent it to one company that only retrieved a few pics and I desperatly need a second opinion. Money is no object I just want to find the best out there to take a second look at it. Thanks for any advice , direction or contact.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
http://www.Ontrack.com

Note: They can get eXpEn$iVe, but, more often than not, they can retrieve your data.

Dakeyras

Dakeyras

Anti-Malware Mammoth

• Expert
  • 9,772 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go piddy352. :D

I moved your topic/request for assistance to this part of the forum as you will be more likely to get further advice/responses.

piddy352

piddy352

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks for the information it is greatly appreciaed I will give them a try.

Sixpack

Sixpack

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I worked on a computer where the SATA hard drive failed and wouldn't boot up. What worked for me to retrieve the data, was to buy an SATA-to-IDE adapter kit. The adapters are usually used to convert SATA to IDE, but they do work under some circumstances on failed hard drives. You can, as I did, use the adapter to access the drive from another working computer, where you can copy the important stuff to another storage device. I then used Windows formatting tool to format the drive as an external drive, making it usable again...I firmly suggest checking a HDD for bad sectors and other problems before using it again, you'll never really be able to trust the failed drive again, though.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
Tip: An adapter will not revive a dead hard drive.

Sixpack

Sixpack

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Yes you are correct, nothing will revive a dead HDD---but the adapters like I'm referring to will replace a failing controller card---nothing will help you if the platters are damaged, but I've found more often than not, it is the controller card, if not just the connection that has failed.